Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-24-2011, 08:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Unhappy Please please help! Sick porcupine puffers

Hello please help I ordered two porcupine puffers that came in Tuesday they had white spots on there fins. Against the advice of a very reputable Aquarium probally the best in NYS. I brought them home willing to risk it and treat them myself. They haven't eaten since I brought them home I been treating with microbe-lift herbtana as to not kill the biological system in the tank. Now one is just laying on the bottom...... Please help there my wife's and my favorite fish.......

New2puffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 09:10 AM   #2
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
If they have ich, you need to setup a QT tank and treat them with a copper med or hypo. None of the so called "reef safe" ich treatments actually work.

125g reef
See My Tank Info
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 09:43 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
No they actually dont work. Its a shame they even exist. I didnt believe in QTing and tried it and its amazing. I would suggest hypo as it is safer. GL!!!!! I lost my porc puffer to ick because i didnt QT.
crister13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 04:15 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Treat your puffs for internal parasite (such as prazipro or jungle med) and ick because puffers don't have strong immune system during transport like many fish at your LFS.

Try feeding your puffers raw shrimp from the grocery store. If the one laying on the substrate won't come up to eat it, then us tongs or chop sticks to wave the shrimp in front of the puffer's face. If it still doesn't eat, then soak the shrimp in aquarium garlic.
Kind Regards,
Terrance is offline   Reply With Quote

ick, porcupine, puffer, puffers, sick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com