Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 08-11-2013, 07:34 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Callen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: College Station, Texas
Posts: 307
Please say its only bubbles!

Just added a coral beauty to my tank today. It looked perfectly healthy at the store. A vigorous swimmer. Been through the acclimation process this afternoon and have had lights off in tank. It's been about 3 hours since I released the fish into the tank. He's been exploring the rock caves and gets along fine w other fish. I just turned on the lights to take a look at them all. The beauty has tiny white spots that are really noticeable on the dark blue part of his body. They don't look like "seeds" or salt the way ich does. They are smaller. I'm hoping this is just some tiny air bubbles stuck to him from the transfer. Sort of lime when you stick your hand down into a tank and it holds bubbles on it. Any chance I could be so lucky?
__________________

__________________
Callen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:17 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mebbid's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 12,569
Probably not. The air bubbles that sometimes get stuck on fish come off very easily. But some pictures would help
__________________

__________________
"The simplest explanation for some phenomenon is more likely to be accurate than more complicated explanations." -Occam's razor
Mebbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:23 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Zactheninja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 693
I was looking at my tank a few minutes ago and noticed a few white spots, had my heart attack and then went back to the tank to see the spots were gone.
Bubbles, all very possible.
__________________
Zactheninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:25 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mebbid's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 12,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zactheninja View Post
I was looking at my tank a few minutes ago and noticed a few white spots, had my heart attack and then went back to the tank to see the spots were gone.
Bubbles, all very possible.
I've done the same thing with my cichlid tank when the water level gets low and my filters start putting out lots of bubbles
__________________
"The simplest explanation for some phenomenon is more likely to be accurate than more complicated explanations." -Occam's razor
Mebbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:30 PM   #5
member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 620
3hrs you wont get any ich thats noticeable like that! Keep an eye on her! You should have done it in a separate tank bro!
__________________
ivan_dalmatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:21 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Callen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: College Station, Texas
Posts: 307
Yeah. I should have put her straight into quarantine. I'm telling you, I had it all set up. The tank is still sitting there with water in it! I second guessed myself when I read about cycling the quarantine tank. Since I set it up the same day I bought the fish I got worried that it would be a death sentence. Now, a few days later it looks more like ich but it only shows up under the aquarium lights. It almost fluoresces.

Do y'all think I should go ahead and catch- treat her? And where do you get the medicine? I looked at Petco and they don't have the Cupertine or anything with that as an active ingredient. Do you get it from a vet?
__________________
Callen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:52 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mebbid's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 12,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callen View Post
Yeah. I should have put her straight into quarantine. I'm telling you, I had it all set up. The tank is still sitting there with water in it! I second guessed myself when I read about cycling the quarantine tank. Since I set it up the same day I bought the fish I got worried that it would be a death sentence. Now, a few days later it looks more like ich but it only shows up under the aquarium lights. It almost fluoresces.

Do y'all think I should go ahead and catch- treat her? And where do you get the medicine? I looked at Petco and they don't have the Cupertine or anything with that as an active ingredient. Do you get it from a vet?
Treating ich in a salt water tank is a lot different than fresh. You will never want to use medication in your display tank, especially if its copper based like cupramine. By far the best course of action to treat ich is move all of the fish to a different tank and do a hypo salinity treatment on them while leaving the display tank fishless for no less than 6 weeks.
__________________
"The simplest explanation for some phenomenon is more likely to be accurate than more complicated explanations." -Occam's razor
Mebbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:08 PM   #8
member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post

Treating ich in a salt water tank is a lot different than fresh. You will never want to use medication in your display tank, especially if its copper based like cupramine. By far the best course of action to treat ich is move all of the fish to a different tank and do a hypo salinity treatment on them while leaving the display tank fishless for no less than 6 weeks.
Agree 100%
__________________
ivan_dalmatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:49 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Callen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: College Station, Texas
Posts: 307
I'm still not certain that she has ich, but I have decided to pull them all out and treat them. The yellow angel has some ragged fin and tail. I dont know if the beauty has been picking on her or if she had a disease too. Best just to do the whole quarantine procedure and treat them all.

Got any good tips on catching them?
__________________
Callen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:48 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Callen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: College Station, Texas
Posts: 307
@ mebbid: how low should the salinity be for a hyposalinity treatment? How long do they stay in? How does that compare to a freshwater dip?
__________________

__________________
Callen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.