Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-11-2013, 07:34 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Please say its only bubbles!

Just added a coral beauty to my tank today. It looked perfectly healthy at the store. A vigorous swimmer. Been through the acclimation process this afternoon and have had lights off in tank. It's been about 3 hours since I released the fish into the tank. He's been exploring the rock caves and gets along fine w other fish. I just turned on the lights to take a look at them all. The beauty has tiny white spots that are really noticeable on the dark blue part of his body. They don't look like "seeds" or salt the way ich does. They are smaller. I'm hoping this is just some tiny air bubbles stuck to him from the transfer. Sort of lime when you stick your hand down into a tank and it holds bubbles on it. Any chance I could be so lucky?

Old 08-12-2013, 03:17 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Probably not. The air bubbles that sometimes get stuck on fish come off very easily. But some pictures would help

Old 08-12-2013, 04:23 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I was looking at my tank a few minutes ago and noticed a few white spots, had my heart attack and then went back to the tank to see the spots were gone.
Bubbles, all very possible.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:25 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zactheninja View Post
I was looking at my tank a few minutes ago and noticed a few white spots, had my heart attack and then went back to the tank to see the spots were gone.
Bubbles, all very possible.
I've done the same thing with my cichlid tank when the water level gets low and my filters start putting out lots of bubbles
Old 08-12-2013, 07:30 PM   #5

3hrs you wont get any ich thats noticeable like that! Keep an eye on her! You should have done it in a separate tank bro!
Old 08-14-2013, 09:21 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah. I should have put her straight into quarantine. I'm telling you, I had it all set up. The tank is still sitting there with water in it! I second guessed myself when I read about cycling the quarantine tank. Since I set it up the same day I bought the fish I got worried that it would be a death sentence. Now, a few days later it looks more like ich but it only shows up under the aquarium lights. It almost fluoresces.

Do y'all think I should go ahead and catch- treat her? And where do you get the medicine? I looked at Petco and they don't have the Cupertine or anything with that as an active ingredient. Do you get it from a vet?
Old 08-15-2013, 02:52 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callen View Post
Yeah. I should have put her straight into quarantine. I'm telling you, I had it all set up. The tank is still sitting there with water in it! I second guessed myself when I read about cycling the quarantine tank. Since I set it up the same day I bought the fish I got worried that it would be a death sentence. Now, a few days later it looks more like ich but it only shows up under the aquarium lights. It almost fluoresces.

Do y'all think I should go ahead and catch- treat her? And where do you get the medicine? I looked at Petco and they don't have the Cupertine or anything with that as an active ingredient. Do you get it from a vet?
Treating ich in a salt water tank is a lot different than fresh. You will never want to use medication in your display tank, especially if its copper based like cupramine. By far the best course of action to treat ich is move all of the fish to a different tank and do a hypo salinity treatment on them while leaving the display tank fishless for no less than 6 weeks.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post

Treating ich in a salt water tank is a lot different than fresh. You will never want to use medication in your display tank, especially if its copper based like cupramine. By far the best course of action to treat ich is move all of the fish to a different tank and do a hypo salinity treatment on them while leaving the display tank fishless for no less than 6 weeks.
Agree 100%
Old 08-16-2013, 09:49 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm still not certain that she has ich, but I have decided to pull them all out and treat them. The yellow angel has some ragged fin and tail. I dont know if the beauty has been picking on her or if she had a disease too. Best just to do the whole quarantine procedure and treat them all.

Got any good tips on catching them?
Old 08-17-2013, 12:48 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

@ mebbid: how low should the salinity be for a hyposalinity treatment? How long do they stay in? How does that compare to a freshwater dip?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com