Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-25-2004, 08:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Please take a look, I don't have a clue

Sorry to post this again, but I really need an opinion. I have 2 heni butterflies in qt. The have developed whan looks like blisters. Here are some better pics.
I have some maracyn 2 standing by. What do you think? They quit eating and become listless.

Old 03-25-2004, 10:11 PM   #2
steve-s

Any sign of redness anywhere around the patch's or near any fins in general? Could be a bacterial infection or scaring from a previous problem. I do not think it's HLLE. Did it develope after you got them?

Cheers
Steve
Old 03-25-2004, 10:25 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

No redness. I was looking closer, it almost looks cottonish, slightly raised. They did not have it when I purchased them last weekend, but it is getting progressively worse, especially on that one. They were eating like pigs up until yesterday. Maybe a true fungus? What do you think about the maracyn 2?
btw, I have them in a 40 gallon qt, am able to keep the water quality excellent, so not problem there.
Thank for the help.
PS, also look at the raised area between the tail fin and the dorsal fin, there is a big area just south between the 2 fins, if that makes any sense.
Old 03-25-2004, 10:31 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to jackdp
Never buy a fish that has visible signs of infection, that is asking for trouble.
Old 03-25-2004, 10:36 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

They did not have it when I bought them. I do check them very well, this develped a couple days later.
Here is a pick with the 3 areas circled.
Old 03-26-2004, 12:19 AM   #6
steve-s

The red area at the base of the tail is what led me to think a possible bacterial problem. The white area's do have a definate fungal appearance but could also be simple scale loss. In either case, I would try several water changes over the next week with well aged SW and increased feedings with a vitamin fortified food soaked daily. After a week of no improvement (or at least no further spreading), then I would suggest the Maracyn II at double the dose for 7 days. Just be sure you test the water specs daily if you medicate and do the needed water changes.

How's the ph?

Cheers
Steve
Old 03-26-2004, 12:25 AM   #7

My gray angel developes some fungus stuff, but it comes and goes. I think my Cleaner shrimp takes care of it, but I see you have cleaners and still have the problem. I hope they all recover.
Old 03-26-2004, 12:36 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I do feed all my fish food soaked with selcon. I also excute daily water changes while they are in qt. sixline, no cleaners as they are in qt
Ph is a constant 8.2 ( I have a monitor on this tank)
. I have read (online tonight) that maracyn may be a better choice, I am going to try that.
Thanks to both of you (and kudos)
Old 03-26-2004, 06:34 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to jackdp
Quote:
Never buy a fish that has visible signs of infection, that is asking for trouble.
Oops, I misread your earlier post, my mistake. But still good advice.
Old 03-26-2004, 07:48 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes, very good advise! Thanks!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com