Please tell me how to set up a QT tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Trying to decide wether to get a 10 or 20 gallon QT. I have the 2 clowns and plan on adding a yellow tang and coral beuty in the future, then that will probably be it. Would those 4 fish survive in a 10 gallon QT should they have to be treated at some point in the future?
A 10 would be too small for these 4 fish, actually a 20 would be too small for these fish at adult size. If you do this right, the 10 would be good enough. A reinfection should not happen with a proper qt period for the new arrivals.
However if you have a choice, I would get the 20. Water quality is more easily managed in the larger tank.
2.) Filling up the QT with water... I establish a siphon from the show tank? Fill the QT all the way at one shot? What temp do I want the QT? I will be treating with Cupramine Copper Treatment and I ordered the copper test.
I use water from the main, You will want the water temp, spg and PH to match your show tank when you move them.
Did you get the seachem multitest kit? Thats the one you need.
3.) Do i just move the fish over with my net? No acclimating?
With the above mentioned water parameters matching, you will not need to acclimate.
I choose not to net my fish, they can get hurt that way (eye damage, etc). What I do is use a net and a clear plastic container. Use the net to move them into the container (kinda chase the in) and then transfer.
4.) For the show tank - now I have just removed approx 20 gallons (almost half the tank water). I buy premade saltwater at the fish show and it is room temp. If I add it all to my 1/2 empty show tank I think they will bring the temp down. Is that OK for my LR, snails and crabs?
Got an extra little heater? You can heat up the water a bit before adding. How much of a difference in temp are we talking about?
5.) What keeps the water parameters correct in the QT w/out LR? What type of water changes would be expected in that QT?
Ok, this is the fun part.......not!! 8O Water changes, water changes, water changes!!
You will need to monitor the ammonia every day, especially in the first few weeks. It will spike and you will have to battle it with water changes. I do 20-25% daily changes, right after you (lightly) feed and get all of the uneaten food out. Keep with the changes until a biofilter is established and the ammonia level is down. The water changes will keep them healthy. Also since you will be using copper, it will kill off much of the bacteria that is establishing in the system. So its all the more important to do the water changes.
Once the treatment level of copper is met, it is easiest to dose the change water in order to keep the tank at treatment level. Easier to adjust in a bucket.
Your doing great!! :wink:

QS,

I typically use my extra powerhead to mix my saltwater in a garbage can (purchased for this purpose). I also plan to use that to feed my QT from the overflow that I'm setting up. Would I have to buy a new untainted powerhead if I ever used copper? What about the garbage can? I also use the QT to store my heated water in advance of a water change... would I no longer be able to do that either? (not that I'm going through this, I just want to be mentally prepared JIC).

TIA

Thank you for all the great info!

Did you get the seachem multitest kit? Thats the one you need.

I've ordered:
Seachem Cupramine 100 ml
Seachem Multitest Copper

Got an extra little heater? You can heat up the water a bit before adding. How much of a difference in temp are we talking about?

I don't have an extra heater. The containers they sell us the water in are odd shaped like dumbbell shaped. I think it would be difficult to put a heater in there. We are talking the new water is 70F and my tank is usually 79F. Too much of a swing for the LR, snails and crabs? It is going to be 40% of their water coming in at that lower temp.

Once the treatment level of copper is met, it is easiest to dose the change water in order to keep the tank at treatment level. Easier to adjust in a bucket.

I don't really know what you mean by the "treatment level of copper". Will that all be explained with the instructions for the meds?

Thanks again!
DJ

I typically use my extra powerhead to mix my saltwater in a garbage can (purchased for this purpose). I also plan to use that to feed my QT from the overflow that I'm setting up. Would I have to buy a new untainted powerhead if I ever used copper?
Wow, not sure how pourous the PH is. I would think it's OK, but don' know for sure. 8O
What about the garbage can?
So you get a new one for your trash, thats what I do with it. :lol:
We are talking the new water is 70F and my tank is usually 79F. Too much of a swing for the LR, snails and crabs? It is going to be 40% of their water coming in at that lower temp.
Let is get to room temp, that should be OK (unless you keep your house at 50 degrees like my wife does). :lol:
I don't really know what you mean by the "treatment level of copper". Will that all be explained with the instructions for the meds?
Yes, basically you will want to maintain a level of 0.5 PPM of copper in the system for the treatment period. You will start with 1/2 dose and leave it that way for 48 hours and then add the remaining dose to get to treatment level. I can't remember how may drops per gallon, but instructions will be on the bottle.

Back
Top Bottom