POLL: Your Treatment of Ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ich Treatment

• Total voters

redsea

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi everyone!

I know that some people quarantine and keep ich out of their systems, but I am also aware that some people let nature take its course and feed with garlic, etc.

I thought it would be interesting to have a poll between the two.

Thanks for reading!

QT for a couple of weeks... But if it happens, hypo. Try to keep it out.

QT = Short-term Formalin bath after acclimation, Long-term Formalin, short-term Formalin baths in between "rest" periods, and depending on circumstances or fish spp. copper afterwards.

Most people overestimate "stress." Their capture, transport, acclimation...it's all a degree of stress; being in an aquarium is a degree of stress. A typical Formalin bath lasts 50mins in a 5g bucket filled with 3g of sw and extra aeration. I've never lost an animal to Formalin or Freshwater baths. Long-term Formalin is a smaller % dosed every other day (50% water changes daily).

Most people overestimate "stress." Their capture, transport, acclimation...it's all a degree of stress; being in an aquarium is a degree of stress. A typical Formalin bath lasts 50mins in a 5g bucket filled with 3g of sw and extra aeration. I've never lost an animal to Formalin or Freshwater baths. Long-term Formalin is a smaller % dosed every other day (50% water changes daily).
Agreed ,,and same here
Oh and i keep it out ..

garlic

Garlic for me;) i voted

I had success with garlic, mainly Garlic Extreme. IMO every time you move the fish it get stressed. Every time the fish gets stressed theres a chance for it to catch ICH, when you pull a sick fish from the display to a quarantine tank (IMO) you stress it even more. Making recovery even more difficult. Then when the fish appears well moving it again will stress it again.

I keep a bottle on hand, if I see any fish flash I add it to the next feeding or two. If I see any spots I add it to the tank once a day for four days on the fifth I do a water change.

I under stand garlic won't cure ICH but will boost the immune system of the affected fish and all of the other fish too. It's what works for me.

Last edited:
Ich is always the least to worry about as it is the easiest to cure, which is why I prefer medications so I can hit multiple parasites if apparant.

Back
Top Bottom