polyp colony

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

foxmulder

Aquarium Advice Regular
my zoanthus polyp colony are not opening properly.
just some of them are opening and even those not fully.
what could be the reason?
i know i have enough lighting and the water parameters are good.

the photo is not great ... but maybe someone can help me with this problem.

thanks!

What is the flow like? I see some cyano in the area which sometimes indicates low flow area. Make sure you have a moderate flow area there.

good sugestion... I will increase the flow in that area.
anything else I should try?

When this happens to my tank it is most likely caused by hermit crabls crawling over my Zoas. Another thing that might be happening is when one of my gobies is digging out a new home and spittling sand on my Zoa colony.

Mine do the same thing. Some open up and some don't. Like Melosu58 said what are your hard numbers. I was told at a LFS that zoo's are a great indicator of water quality,if something is off they respond quickly to it and won't open up. I don't know how true this is though.

The numbers are:
NH3- 0 ppm
NO2- 0.1 ppm
NO3- 5 ppm
PO4- 0.2 ppm
PH- 8.2
KH- 10
Temp 81F
Specific Gravity 1.023

I think your within reason. Your nitrite should drop even more. Keep and eye on the PO4 and I think you should raise your SG to at least 1.025. your next PWC should help bring those to the correct numbers.
Do you have an ATO hooked up to your system? If not then let the water evaporate until you get the 1.025 then do the water change.

Back
Top Bottom