Polyps dying? (Zoanthids??)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GuOD

Aquarium Advice Freak
These things here (not the green mushrooms)

4dd6fz9.jpg

They were all open like that before, but now they are almost all closed up and look pretty strange. Are they dying or do they sometimes stay closed/shriveled for a period of several days?

Let`s see some water test results to start with. What kind of Flow? I`m wondering about your lighting. It is about 2 WPG. As I asked please post your water test results

melosu58 said:
Let`s see some water test results to start with. What kind of Flow? I`m wondering about your lighting. It is about 2 WPG. As I asked please post your water test results

I realise the lighting is on the weak side - I actually bought the mushroom, there just happened to be a few of those polyps on the same rock.

The mushrooms are doing great and the toadstool leather is doing awesome as well (the tentacles are getting longer, and increasing in number!). I tested my nitrates the other day and they are under 10ppm. Nitrites were 0. I didn't bother testing ammonia and pH on a test strip is maxed so I don't think that's a problem.

I guess it must be because of lighting - I just heard that having mushrooms near the top will result in them turning really brown instead of green. My new light will be here by next Wednesday I'm certain.

I looked at Liveaquaria and all their zoo`s say moderate lighting. Make sure you dont have anybody eating them like nudibranches.

I have a few and they will close up if there is too much current flowing over/at/on them. I have 215W T5s over my 55G, they are about midway up the tank (if that means anything to the more experienced folks). I don't have any real knowledge of them, just my personal observations. It does look like some of them are open and the ones in the middle/back are closed, check your flow...I will now digress to the experts....

I had quite a bit of flow coming near them, that could've been my problem. I adjusted the flow to hit my new toadstool and they were somewhat nearby. I'll try putting them in a lower flow area.

I wish I could just take my green mushrooms off and put them elsewhere but I don't think they can just be yanked off. I've also considered cutting that rock in half, but I'm not quite sure how to safely do it (as I don't have tools)

GuOD, I have several zoo clumps in my tank. Some are about a month old and others have been in for only a few days - They are all located about the same height in the tank and none get significantly more flow or light than others - yet some open regularly and others have stayed closed for days. The ones that act tired and freaked out are the newer ones.

I think shipping is hard on them and it takes awhile for them to recover. Even after they opened up initially, they closed back up for a bit. How long have yours been closed? WHat are you feeding?

Back
Top Bottom