polyps not opening

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blackthunda77

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i have a piece of live rock in my tank with some polyps on it that r not opening up except for two and one edge of the rock. i poseted a while ago about the same thing but i hve 3 rocks with polyos and none were opening cuz i didnt have but a 40 wt light on a 55 gal. now my 300 watt set up is on and all polyps r open and spreading excpet for that one. i tried to miove it around, that didnt work. i was told to do a freshwater dip and that didnt work. nothing came out, or off. but i was watching it the other day and there was this worm looking thiing comin outta the hole, it looked black with white marks or spots, no legs like a bristle worm, just smooth and out of one end what looked like its mouth there was lieke a wierd looking like teeth coming out almost looked like the shape of spikes or the shape of a feather duster crown, but i know it wasnt a feather duster cuz it moved too much and i know that was its mouth, looked like something it would use to burrow or munch on roots or something. what should i do?? this is the only thing iive seen this worm on and this is the only rock that isnt opening, excpt for the 2 polyps that are away from the rest of the colony on a corner of the rock.

i was watching it the other day and there was this worm looking thiing comin outta the hole, it looked black with white marks or spots, no legs like a bristle worm, just smooth and out of one end what looked like its mouth there was lieke a wierd looking like teeth coming out almost looked like the shape of spikes or the shape of a feather duster crown, but i know it wasnt a feather duster cuz it moved too much and i know that was its mouth, looked like something it would use to burrow or munch on roots or something.

Hope someone can help you figure out what kind of worm this is. I am bad about iding these types of things.

Its quite possible the poylps are staying retracted due to this worm. If the worm is disturbing the polyps thru its moving around/in the rock then they would stay closed. It might be possible to trap this worm and extract it from the tank.

Back
Top Bottom