Polyps not opening.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AZdogpatch06

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'll get straight to the point. My polyps haven't opened up in close to a month now. Just about a month ago, I had a chip in my tank. Complete and total catastrophic failure was nearly avoided. Obviously, this means the tank was drained and I don't know if the shock of a new tank killed them or what. The other dragons eye polyps and Kenya trees are just fine. Any tips before I remove them from the tank? :(

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1410476476329.jpg
    1410476476329.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 110
First tip is we need water parameters to help you.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites are all at zero. Calcium and alkalinity were all at normal levels as well. Calcium was at 480ppm and alkalinity was at 11dkh, which is high but still in the acceptable zone according to the chart. Phosphate also at zero.

I use tap water because mine here is abnormally clean at only 9ppm TDS.

I have a rodi but haven't used it in a while. (before I had these coral)

Excuse me, phosphate @ 0.25 ppm. Checked my log book.

Last edited by a moderator:
Move them to a different spot to see if they will open up. Zoas and other polyps can sometimes be unhappy due to flow, too intense of lighting if not properly acclimated to them, or low alk can effect them in such a manner.

Thanks! I'll try rearranging things. Could my tap water be a factor even though it's reasonably clean as I mentioned?

Yes, even at 9tds you don't know what's in it. .25 phosphates is way high too, but if your using an api test you may as well just guess (nitrate too IMHO), you want it really no higher than .1 for softies

Yeah, 9 tds could be anything. That anything could keep building up in levels until something bad happens, and you'd never be able to figure out the cause. Who thinks about death by fluoride?

Back
Top Bottom