Poor Clam..........

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xxnonamexx

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well this clam still has senses but it doesn't look so good this morning http://www.flickr.com/photos/59422509@N00/. My other clam on the other side is doing great. What else should I do? I have the MH acclimating w/ 7 screens in between so I need to give it a few days before I take a layer off. Do you think this will harm the clam as to not getting enough light during acclimation? Thanks

Do you think this will harm the clam as to not getting enough light during acclimation?
Assuming it was healthy when you added the lights, it looks more like the result of TOO MUCH light IMO. The way it is pulling from the shell suggest major stress. Too little light would not cause that to happen so quickly IME. Remember, it's the intensity not "brightness" of MH that separates it from other light sources. While it may look dim to you, the corals will really feel the difference.

I have 6 layers of screen in between the MH and the tank like everyone suggested. The clam on the opposite side is doing wonderful. Thae tank looks dim so there is not a lot of light going through but everything is acclimating well.

It has passed away after being in my tank for 4 months. The other clam is doing excellent

Besides what I said above, have you been monitoring the water temperature since adding the MH setup? Make sure it's not getting too hot or fluctuating too much. As you are finding out, switching to MH from fluorescent is quite stressful on corals/inverts. Take your time, slower is better...

temp has fluctuated 78 when lights off to 80 when on. maybe i will take 1 layer off on thurs giving it an extra day.

Back
Top Bottom