popeye

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Agnate80700

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a koran angel with popeye... and online I read about medications that would help. So I went to the lfs and they suggested to me epsom salt (1tbs/10gal.)

Anyone have success with this method of treatment? If so, how often did you re-dose?

Those links portray the typical treatment methods of which I've read about (either it will go away on its own with high quality water, or quarrintine + medication)

I have yet to hear anywhere about epsom salt working to cure popeye, but I have clean water (0 everything except nitrate =<20ppm) and I'm pretty sure the fish was not 100% healthy from the store. His eyes were the least cloudy at the store, but once i got him home and was able to compare his eyes to the other's eyes it was obvious his were cloudy. I'm trying the epsom salt at 1tbs/10gal once a day unless someone else advises otherwise.

If nothing changes in 2 or 3 days, hes gettin quarintined.

What I dont understand is if those links portray the typical why are you going with the unknown. I dont know about epsom salt and maybe it will work but it will have to come by more than just word of mouth from one person. IMO I would rather try the proven than the unproven. I hope all goes well.

epsom salt: $1.50

medications: $10-20 (meds)
$50 (quarintine tank)
$50 (small filter)
$8 (synth salt to make up for water put in hospital tank)

I know I should have that stuff already but funds are tight right now and I would really like to stop pouring money into my tank at least for a few days.

I trust the guys at my store, they generally know what theyre talkin about. I was really just looking for another opinion about it, and maybe something as far as expected results.

I did a little research on the net and found some others that also used epsom salt, I guess the couple places I looked didnt mention it, but it is out there.

If you found some could you post the links. I would be very interested in studying them for future references.

I agree with mel, you might also want to get those nitrAtes below 20, around 10 or lower is a decent number.

Back
Top Bottom