Popeye Basslet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iceblueconcepts

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there. I have a 125 gallon Reef and Fish tank with a sick Chalk Basslet. I have indentified the sickness as Popeye. I understand that the number one cause of this illness is poor water conditions, that is not the case as I have many fish and over 40+ coral species in the tank that require perfect parameters. My question is that I recently added a Green Brittle Starfish and a Feather Sea Star. These guys have made a home in the corner in which the basslet hovers and stays frequently. I have always done water changes quite frequently and of course since spotting the popeye have done so even more. I know the medications that I can treat Popeye with if the water changes don't take care of the problem. So my question is, could the popeye be due to stress from the newly added stars? I don't have a picture of the sick fish, but I will attach a full picture of my tank. Thanks in advance for your help.

Attachments

• dsc01198_282.jpg
    dsc01198_282.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 34
  • dsc01194_309.jpg
    dsc01194_309.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 37
Is it one or both eyes? If one, it would just be an injury. High water quality and maybe a good water change could clear it up.
If its both eyes, then its popeye. Catching (if possible) and treating in a qt would be the best option.
HTH

Hi there! Thanks for the reply! It is currently only one eye. I am hoping that the water changes and low stress levels will get him better in no time. Thanks for your help!

Be patient - if an injury in one eye, it will take several weeks to resolve, but it will get better.

Back
Top Bottom