porcupine puffer can't eat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

90gallon

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My porcupine puffer has been trying to eat but it appears that he can't open his mouth to get the shrimp. He is actively swimming and water parameters are fine. there doesn't seem to be any type of fungus around his mouth. Its just when he goes to try and get the shrimp he can't open his mouth. Please help, is there anything I can do for the little guy? I have been feeding him "Omega" freezer dried shrimp.

This is from Liveaquaria

"The Porcupine Puffer needs a varied diet of meaty foods including; squid, krill, clams, and hard shelled shrimp to help wear down their ever growing teeth."

I`ve never had a puffer so I`m just guessing as I would try to feed one of those things from the Liveaquaria quote. Maybe some puffer experts will answer.

I agree, it is possible he has not been able to trim his fused teeth. Can you get to a local grocery store and but fresh, raw clams or something with a hard shell?

I have seen this on more than one occasion. When there are excess heavy metals, there is this reaction.
Investigate all possible sources of toxic metals; from hose clamps and plumbing to pumps and possibly even source water.
If you deal with a lot of evaporation the unwanted metals are constantly compounding.
Look into Polyfilter by Poly-bio Marine. It is a filter media that strips out toxic and heavy metals. Good stuff.

After a couple of Polyfilters and possibly a couple of water changes with reverse osmosis water, you should notice the puffer's lockjaw disappearing.

thanks everyone.....I will try the filter media and see what happens. thanks again.

I have tried the Polyfilters and there were no excess heavy metals. Does anyone else have any suggestions on how I can save my porcupine puffer?

Polyfilters and excess heavy metals was not the only answer on this post. Other good answers were given also.

The puffer can't even open his mouth to try and eat the foods that were recommended above. Any more suggestions?

Please help this little guy!!

I have trimmed the puffers teeth over a week ago and he still can't eat. I'm pretty sure he has lock jaw. Its been quite awhile since he has eaten so not sure how much longer he'll hold on. have tried all the recommendations listed earlier and none of them have seemed to work. Does anyone have any suggestions to help this little guy out?

Check out the forum on Marine Depot. I hate to say this but there is a forum hosted there by a lady that is local to me and she specializes in fish health and actually houses quite a few puffers. Her name is Kelly Jedlicki.

She might be able to give you more specialized help. You might need to see a fish vet or similar.

I spoke with Kelly today at a conference/workshop we had. According to her, once a puffers teeth have fused together, the only way to correct it is to remove the fish and file/dremel them loose. She said she has had to use anthesia and perform this procedure on a few of hers. BUT she said that porcupines don't have this occur. Should only occur in the other varieties like dogs and such.

HTH

Back
Top Bottom