Porcupine Puffer won't eat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FlyingDutchman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got a porcupine puffer 3 days ago and he will not eat the food I give him. I have tried the frozen cube stuff and fresh seafood and he won'even acknowledge it. The store he came from I am poretty sure fed him feeder fish only. Am I gonna have to feed him feeders?

Pick up some clams at the grocery store, still in the shell, crack open the shell about 1/4 of the way. When mine wasnt eating, this was a sure fire way to get him to eat. After it is dependably eating the clam, I started putting frozen food in the clam shell and that weaned it onto frozen food. It is worth a try and clams are not very expensive. Freshwater feeder fish are not good for saltwater fish.
hth

Mine took a few days to start eating. Maybe try sliver sides (which I hate) or try soaking the food in garlic.

If it has been three days I would not worry too much about it. give it a bit more time. The garlic thing is a great idea.

Freshwater feeders dont have to proper fatty acids to maintain a SW fish. SW feeders can introduce parasites and disease. Unless you grow your own SW feeders they are not safe.

I use freshwater water feeders and soak their food in garlic & Vitamins for a day then feed them like that to my triggers, eels, wrasse & Batfish.

I would be careful about adding any self-caught food. You never know what you might introduce to your system in the process.

what about using small sw fish caught yourself in a castnet?

It is possible you can introduce infections or parasites. Just to be safe you can freeze them first.

Fishboy-from-NY said:
I use freshwater water feeders and soak their food in garlic & Vitamins for a day then feed them like that to my triggers, eels, wrasse & Batfish.

I could be wrong, but i dont think soaking the FW feeders food in vitamins will do much good for the SW fish. Even soaking frozen FW feeders in vitamins doesnt give your fish what they need for a balanced nutritional dinner.

Back
Top Bottom