Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-26-2005, 11:41 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to PumaKrieg Send a message via MSN to PumaKrieg Send a message via Yahoo to PumaKrieg
I do have no detectable nitrates and amonias. I should have restated that. I have so little, they are undetectable.

Old 02-26-2005, 11:45 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

What about nitrites?

Old 02-26-2005, 11:51 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to PumaKrieg Send a message via MSN to PumaKrieg Send a message via Yahoo to PumaKrieg
My PH is fine, and it is not overcrowding with all my fish being 1/2 inch to 2/3 inch besides my blenny. I removed a few snails and my banded coral yesterday just in case. I have no other sick species it is just the clownfish. I gave him the freshwater bath yesterday and he is much less sluggish just breathing heavily. I'm hoping he will feel better. My starfish came out today b/c i gave him shrimp but he did not eat it. I noticed he now has 3 missing legs but i removed the shrimp that was attacking him. I acclomated the clownfish exactly how Live Aquaria said so but just a little bit longer, say 15 min just in case. I really do not need to reduce the number of fish, once they outgrow it i will move them to a larger tank. However, this most likely will never happen anyway because of stunted growth. I also do not use a very well test kit, however my current ph now is 7.6. Thank you for your help anyway.
Old 02-26-2005, 12:03 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
however my current ph now is 7.6.
That is a bit on the low side. It should be up around 8.1-8.3. Any word on Nitrites?
Old 02-26-2005, 12:06 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

My Nitrates are basically 0, and I did water changes just to be safe. Thank you for your help and advice my clown seems to be getting better. I'm just hoping he eats tonight.
Old 02-26-2005, 12:34 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
My Nitrates are basically 0
I am not asking about nitrates (NO3), I am asking about nitrites (NO2). In very small amounts, NO2 can be just as deadly to fish as ammonia (NH3).
removing the CBS and a few snails is not really going to due much to help water parameters as they do not contribute to the overal bioload of the tank. It is the fish you might need to thin out.
Quote:
I did water changes just to be safe
Always the best course of action and the first thing to do when something seems "amiss".
Old 02-26-2005, 01:49 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

My fish are fine. They are small and healthy.
Old 02-26-2005, 02:34 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
He shows very rapid breathing,
Has this changed?
Old 02-26-2005, 02:53 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Also I gave the clownfish a freshwater dip for 2 mins. How long do you think i should wait until attempting to see if he is better by feeding him?
okay sorry to interupt but..??? what is dipping in freshwater for parasites and how is it done??
Old 02-26-2005, 03:10 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

wow... all I can say is lando knows his stuff... and you obviously don't Pumakreig... first off, why wouldn't you do a fishless cycle on one of your bigger tanks and just put all your fish and stuff in there??? Second you should know that pH should be at 8.3 and that ammonia nitrites should be at 0. Also it is quite obvious that you do not have a healthy system... your clownfish is breathing heavy and your starfish is losing legs (which is a last ditch effort to save himself). to put it bluntly... your a This portion of your post has been edited, it is in violation of the User Agreement. Further violations of the User Agreement could result in removal from our community. if you argue with lando and some of the other experts here.

Quote:
The Ultimate Fish Hobyist!!!
Knows the scientific name for 300 + saltwater fish
Football all pro Linebacker
knowing the scientific names does not mean you know everything...

Tags
clown, clownfish, coral, sea

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com