Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-23-2004, 01:26 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Do some water changes to help in removal of the Green X.
The spg would need to be left at the .009-.010 for a period of 4 weeks for the parasite to be eradicated. A good refractometer is needed for accurate measurement of spg. Hydrometers are not accurate enough to do the job.
Keep in mind, if it is marine velvet, this treatment will not be effective, it only works with ich.

Old 11-23-2004, 02:47 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

update...

went home and added carbon for about 1 hour to filter out any remaining green x. I then did a 30% water change with some water I keep cured in a 20 gallon acrylic tank, and lowered the salinity to 1.010.

things seem ok. I also set the temp back to 76 on the heater. I added some Cloat to the water in place of the green x.

Though now my lionfish has cloudy eyes and it would appear he cannot see. So I added Mela Fix and Pima Fix to his tank.

....seriously considering giving up saltwater in favor of my lifelong abuse of the freshwater side of things.....

Old 11-23-2004, 02:49 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

a client of mine is a long time saltwater fanatic and was formerly friends with the founder and creator of Aquarium Products. he was kind enough to stop over and observe my situation and is 99% sure it is a severe case of Ich or another saltwater parasite - Odo something or the other, he claims both can be treated much the same.
Old 11-23-2004, 02:57 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can treat the Lion with the hypo as well. What is in the tank with him?
Do you have another qt tank?
Old 11-23-2004, 03:08 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The lionfish is still in the main tank. I do have a quarentine tank, it is 20 gallons though it is occupied by my Porcupine Fish. That is the only quarentine tank I have - I am planning on setting up another quarentine saltwater tank as my other quarentine is my freshwater qurentine though I dont have any more money to drop into it right now after spending over 400 dollars on this new arrangment and various fish.

If you read my HELLLLLLP!! post it will tell you the whole story of the situation with my tank.
Old 11-23-2004, 05:39 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

How big are the fish?
You really need to get them all out and into qt.
Can you swing another 20 gallon? depending on the fish size you may be able to keep them in 2 qt tanks.
It is a must at this point to keep the main tank fishless for 6 week, no matter what you decide. Let that parasite die off.
Old 11-23-2004, 07:02 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Honestly, I am thinking about just returning the Lionfish since he is ok to return and the tang - treating the puffer and returning him once he is well. Letting the tank sit for the next month and a half and getting some damsels and clownfish.

I was planning on moving these guys into another set up - an 80 gallon tank I have although was not quite ready with all the details to pull it off.
Old 11-23-2004, 07:02 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Oh I can swing another 20 gallon although I promised my fiance that I would cut back on the aquarium spending and she is going to go ballistic if I walk into our apartment with another tank!
Old 11-23-2004, 10:22 PM   #19
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by macman7010
he was kind enough to stop over and observe my situation and is 99% sure it is a severe case of Ich or another saltwater parasite - Odo something or the other
I also think you should forgo the hypo treatment, the symptoms are moreso akin to Amyloodinium ocellatum (aka oodinium/velvet) and not C. irritans. If misdiagnosed, the hypo will have no affect on the velvet where the Cupramine will kill both. Velvet is also a very fast killer so time is not on your side.

Cheers
Steve
Old 11-26-2004, 11:43 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

I think this problem should be much simpler, given that the infected fish is a Porcupine Puffer. This fish tolerates freshwater baths better than any fish i have ever seen. You can easily dip 2 or 3 times per day for 1 minute at a time. The parasites, regardless of which type, will not tolerate the change in salinity and you should have a non-infected puffer within days. Combined with a hyposalinity treatement (1.015+) you will probably have a fully cured fish in 3 weeks.

For the record, feeding garlic has proven essential to boosting the immunity system of puffer fish. Avoid krill. You can reference

http://www.aquaticimportsintl.com/ab...s/?articleid=1

or any works by Kelly Jedlicki, who has become recognized as the foremost authority on pufferfish in the industry.

Tags
fungus, outbreak

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com