Possible ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kristall-99

Aquarium Advice Regular
So i got a fish at the lfs that didnt look sick when i got it. when i got it home under my lighting it has semi white bloches in the skin and not really the ich looking white speck. I already threw him in the DT. is it to late to pull him out and start him in a QT tank or coulda there already be the parasite on the ground already if it is already ich.

It wouldnt be ich, I think i know the bloches your talking about.
My Kole Tang had them, Im not sure what they are but i know there not ich.
Keep a close eye on him and make sure its eating well and has normal behavior.

Ich looks like sand specs over the fish. As you got the fish, And he didnt have them at the LFS i highly doubt its ich.
But in saying that, A QT would help for things such as this.

It could be a myxobacterial diseases similar to columnaris.
Do a 20% PWC to help maintian pristine water conditions. That may be enough to help the fish heal on it's own (20% PWC - 2x/week).

All fish should be QT'd for 30 days before adding them to the DT.

okay. well i caught him last night when lights were out and threw him in the DT with a new batch of saltwater and a filter pad thats beeen in the DT tank for awhile so there should be some bacteria on it to take care of the ammonia, etc. I also switched out sumps tanks and used all new saltwater in that exchange. Ill whip up another batch of saltwater tonight and keep the QT conditions within safety reasons

Is there any medications i should add to help the healing process? When i got him into the DT he scavenged the tank for some cheato break-offs and later i put in a 1" x 1" sheet of seaweed and the next time i went in there it was gone so it seems hes eating fine.

Last edited:
my chromis fish get white blotches when they're chasing each other. But when they're calm it's not there.

Its a Scopas Tang that's about 2-2.5" long. Ill try and get pics today. There small white blotches. Deff more than one

dsc2248.jpg

dsc2258l.jpg

Just watch him as it may just be him adjusting to his new environment. Like camoflage or fear markings.

been keeping a clse eye on him. the spots have nearly disappeared. one spot on both side is all that remain now considering it used to be 5-6 per side.

Just keep up pristine water conditions and feed him well. Don't do anything drastic. He should be fine. I don't think it is Ich, but from what I have learned/experienced, Ich isn't really that big of a deal in a healthy tank. Marine velvet is the killer.

justlost 7 fish to velvet and the only ones that never got it is my lunar wrass and my lawnmower bleeny

Kristall, Are you feeding him plenty of dried seaweed? It has plenty of vitamin C that will help his immune system.

Yes. and man he pigs out. I only keep the seaweed in for about 10 mins before i pull the rest out. i few him yesterday and again in a hour or so. Heck i even see the clownfish take a few bites of the smaller pieces floating about.

Back
Top Bottom