Possible problem or paranoid fish 'mom' ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

catmel

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok, question.. I was sitting in my front room earlier today and happened to glance over at the tank, I briefly saw one of my clowns quickly rub against the top of a rock and swim away. This is the first time he's ever done this. Never has before and hasn't again. He does not seem to be having any trouble breathing, does not have white spots, seems to be acting completely normal and is very interested in eating. This guy has been in my tank since mid may with no problems.

I also have one other clown and a coral beauty who have not done anything similar at all and are eating etc. I have QT'd all these fish for 3-4 weeks ( usually more toward 4 weeks) and have only introduced some snails and hermits ( being extra careful not to dump any water in the tank). I had delt with Ich before and make sure all fish go into QT.

Can it be normal for fish to do this once and thats it? Or do I have to be concerned? I know the signs and symptoms of ich/ velvet and do know they flash and rub, but... it was only once. I am probably answering my own question in being I should just probably keep an eye on them for a while.

Any help on the matter or am I being paranoid fish mom?

I think you are right in that just watching for now is the best move. It may have just been a fluke thing. I would only be concerned if it continues and then would take action.

Just keep an eye out. I`ll have my fish every once in awhile the will flash on the rock. I never see anything though. You probably wont either.

Thank you thank you! :) I figured as much I've been watching them very closely and so far no rapid breathing or other 'scratching' since that one time. Glad to hear they can do it once in a while ( kind of figured..) and probably not have a disease. After going through ich when I first started up my tank, i'm very happy to hear. Thanks for the comforting news ;) i'll certainly update if anything should change.

I agree with the rest. Some of my fish do this every once in a while. It is possible he had a piece of sand or an actual itch.

Agree with roka... and others obviously. I've seen my clown do the same and have freaked. But upon further watching, I think it was just trying to shake some copepods or something out of hiding and have a snack.

I have a cleaner shrimp ;) He doesnt seem interested in it though. So far so good, dont seem to have any other major concerns. Hopefully all should be well. Thanks for the reassurance!

Back
Top Bottom