Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-11-2005, 12:04 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via MSN to SsSarahsS
Possible Sick Clowns?

I have 2 sebae clownfish, 1 coral beauty and a sand sifting star. The clownfish which I have had since mid Jan, almost 2 months now have started demonstrating some strange behaviour. Up until now they have been fine, but on Sunday night I noticed that they were both swimming behind the rocks near the bottom whereas before then they would swim above the rocks and around the tank. They are also been breathing fairly rapidly but have no visual signs on their bodies...yet?. They come up from beneath the rocks as soon as I put food in and they eat fine and don't spit any food out. I haven't noticed anything wrong with the coral beauty. I checked all of the parameters today and they were all at the appropriate readings, but I did I 25% water change anyway. When the lights go out at night they come above the rocks again a sleep where they usually sleep. I am going to go and talk to the people at the fish store tomorrow and see what they can tell me. But your thoughts on my situation would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 03-11-2005, 12:46 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Hello, welcome to the forum.
What specifically are the water parameters?
Clown are strange creature and do some strange things from time to time. The fact that they are eating is a great sign.
Keep an eye on them and let us know if the display another other strange behavior or stop eating.

Old 03-11-2005, 12:52 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

pH-8.2 Ammonia-0 Nitrate-0 Nitrite-0 SG-1.022 Heat 78-80(midway between).
Old 03-11-2005, 09:49 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

This morning everything seems to be the same. Really fast breathing, and hovering behind the rocks. Their gills are both moving at the same time there breathing doesn't look too difficult but the little clown seem to gasp sometimes. I still see nothing on them, I am not sure but I may have seen some white feces and I don't know which fish it came from. This is so confusing lol. I still don't see anything much wrong with the coral beauty but it looks like he may be breathing fast too, it's harder to tell. They still go crazy as soon as they know food is coming and they are eating fine. I just don't know what to do lol. I am going away next week and someone else will be feeding my fish, but thats probably all they really know how to do. Any Other Advice, I am so concerned. Thanks.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:57 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

oh and BTW the fish are not rubbing against anything.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:57 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
I am not sure but I may have seen some white feces and I don't know which fish it came from
WHat do white feces indicate? My PJ cardinal was showing white feces, too, I think, before he leaned over and died.

(Of course, I'm not sure I know the normal color of cardinal feces :| )

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

List of possible/likely newcomers:

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
midiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 10:33 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

I am not sure about the white feces either I just read somewhere that it wasn't good.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:02 AM   #8
steve-s

White (usually stringy as well) feces (if the food was dark going in) will often be an indication of either an internal bacterial or parasitic problem, usually parasitic. Rapid breathing is not typically a symptom though. External parasites, stress or water quality issues will be moreso the cause in that regard.

Which was added first, the clowns or the angel and how far apart. I am assuming none where QT'd? What foods are you feeding?

First off I would try a few large water changes with well aged/aerated SW. At the next feeding mix a few slightly softend and mashed peas in with the food normally fed to the fish and observe what happens over the next day or so.

If the problem is internal, the best action would be to QT and treat with a Metronidazole based med. Observation is key here because you also need to rule out velvet (Amyloodinium ocellatum) and Brooklynella hostilis.

Cheers
Steve
Old 03-11-2005, 11:14 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Whatever it was it wasn't stringy, the clowns were added first and the angel and star were added about 5 weeks after and all of the inhabitant have been together about 4 weeks. I did not use QT for any of them as I do not have a QT(what do you need to have for a QT? and what is the cheapest way to make one?). I have done 3 water changes since the star and angel were added. I feed the fish flake, mysis and brine and I alternate. Thank you for you advice I will try the water changes. What % Water change do you recommend. And I will also try the mashed peas thing(what does that do exactly?).
Old 03-11-2005, 11:31 AM   #10
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by SsSarahsS
(what do you need to have for a QT? and what is the cheapest way to make one?).
<<Quarantine>>

Quote:
What % Water change do you recommend.
20% each but be sure the new SW has been mixing with a powerhead and heated to the same temp as the main for at least 24 hrs before use. Also be sure to test pH and salinity for a proper match.

Quote:
And I will also try the mashed peas thing(what does that do exactly?).
In this regard not much if bacterial or parasitic. It can be a great "laxative" though. Heavy meat diets can often cause digestive problems which can be common to smaller fish especially clowns. The added "green" will also help you determine if the feces remain so or are much paler. Generally speaking, the food should be the same/similar color coming out as it went in.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
clown, clowns, ick, sick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com