Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-24-2012, 09:20 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

My clowns White strips are turning pink and he is panting does anyone know what is wrong as you can see from the pic his first strip has a red streak on it

PS he still eats
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2954555361.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	127233  

Old 10-24-2012, 09:26 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok I put some air in his tank and he stopped panting but what about the red

Old 10-24-2012, 10:20 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Is the tank cycled? What's your ammonia level? Nitrite level?
Old 10-24-2012, 05:29 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yes it is and I don't know I'm gonna change his water tho
Old 10-24-2012, 07:41 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

What size tank do you have and what is pushing water around? Is there anything moving the water for good oxygen exchange on the surface? How did you "put air into the tank"? How old is the tank? What kind of filtration?

Do you not know water parameters because you do not have a test kit? If so, how do you know the tank is cycled? It's tough to do saltwater and keep fish happy without knowing the quality of your water.

Sorry for all the questions. Just trying to figure out what we are working with.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:52 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTodd
What size tank do you have and what is pushing water around? Is there anything moving the water for good oxygen exchange on the surface? How did you "put air into the tank"? How old is the tank? What kind of filtration?

Do you not know water parameters because you do not have a test kit? If so, how do you know the tank is cycled? It's tough to do saltwater and keep fish happy without knowing the quality of your water.

Sorry for all the questions. Just trying to figure out what we are working with.
I plan to get a test kit after the sixth so I will know after then for sure. I have a aireator that I put in the tank for oxegeyn. My tank is 5 only the clown in it. The tank cycled for a few week with live sand. My filter is bigger than needed. And I know the tank is small but when I get more money i have a bigger tank to set up.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:20 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Was the clown in while it was cycling?

That process is not just a matter of throwing water into a tank with live sand and it will do its thing. It is also not something that you can just guess at. There are stages that your water will go through to end up producing the beneficial bacteria that you need/want. If there was no ammonia source, it probably did not cycle properly. I'm almost guessing that it did not cycle and your clown is getting its gills burned.

Also...A 5 gallon tank is way too small for a clown. 20-30 in most cases. A tank that small is going to be extremely difficult to maintain, as water parameters will change quickly. Not having a test kit will make it even more difficult as you have no idea what your Nitrate levels are at (high equals bad).
Old 10-24-2012, 09:12 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

ok i was doing some reading and i found out what he has. although i dont know for sure the name is to complicated for me to remember but one of the nonchemical cure was a fw dip i just wanted to know how that works and what to do the only things i know about it is i have to get the temp the same other than that i need some help. by the way the would the clown show emmidente as a week to get sick if it wasnt cycled properly? if so that is not the case because he has been in there for over a week two or three if i am accurate. so that is why i am sure it is a bacterial infection\i found out how to fw dip i just want to know if he will be fine after placed back in the main tank
Old 10-24-2012, 09:55 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have never done a freshwater dip, so I can not advise on that. I'm sure someone else can though.

My concern is that if you threw a clown into an uncycled tank, the ammonia,nitrites and nitrates bouncing around when it starts to cycle could do damage to its gils. if the gils are red, that is probably what is going on. If it was somehow cycled and then you added the clown, the nitrates could be high, which basically poisons the fish. I'm not getting a good read on this tanks timeline, so it's hard to tell.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:40 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree with burnt gills that tanks not cycled yet ...research the nitrogen cycle ..and to save yur clown do a 25% water change to lower the toxicity of yur water hope this helps

Tags
clown, ick, sick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com