Possibly Sick Spiny Box Puffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cusemarine

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there, I bought the spiny box puffer over 6-months ago. He always eats and has grown from about 4 to 6 inches. It's his appearance that concerns me. A few months ago I noticed a brownish haze and brownish spots forming on his fins. I'm not sure if its a parasite, fungus, or something else but the haze/spots continued to get worse. It did not appear to be ich.

I removed the puffer and the rest of the fish (3 clownfishes who were starting to flash on the LR) to a QT. I treated the QT with Coppersafe, and Mardel parasite and fungus cure. After two weeks all the brownish haze/spots were gone (and the clownfish were no longer flashing). I kept all the fish in the QT for a total of 60 days then removed the copper and put them back in the main tank. It has been a week since the puffer has been put back in the main tank and I am starting to see signs of the brownish haze/spots again. Has anyone had a similar problem w/ the spiny box puffer? recommended treatments/cures?

My Main Tank Setup:
90-gallon marine tank with three saddle back clowns and a spiny box puffer. Several invertes (puffer too lazy to hassle them) including 12 emerald green crabs, 20 hermit crabs, 3 peppermint shrimp, 6 turbo snails, and a BTA. Protein skimmer, 100-pounds live rock, Total 495 watts lighting w/2, 150-watt MH, power compacts and lunars. Ammonia & Nitrite = 0, Nitrate = <10, specific gravity: 1.024. Using Sea-Lab 28 to maintain calcium at 400 ppm and trace metal concentrations.

Could be a bacterial problem possibley even Vibrio related (which I doubt considering the meds used previously), both of which will be caused by high DOC/nutrient in the water. It can also be linked to stress and poor diet.

I would start a series of large water changes with well aged/aerated SW over the next 7-10days to help reduce the organics. I would also start supplimenting feedings with foods soaked in a good liq vitamin before each feeding.

What do you regularly feed and whare the clowns exhibiting any other signs of parasitic activity? Redness, enflamed gills, heavy breathing or excess body slime (white/cloudy)?

Mardel parasite?

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom