Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-25-2006, 12:26 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Post-ich dilema

So I've had my main tank in hypo treatment for about for about 6 weeks and all signs of ich are gone . I originally took all of my hermits out before hypo and kept isolated in a 5 gal bucket doing water changes every other day. I'm brining the SG back up in my main tank now and am wondering if it is safe to bring my hermits back in without the risk of re-infecting the main tank again with ich. Thoughts?

For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities...have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse. (Romans 1:20)
johnkristie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 07:18 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hermits are not an ich risk. It's fine to put them back in. Ich is fish specific and doesn't seem to prey on inverts. What you should keep a weary eye on are nitrate levels to help avoid re infestation and QT any new fish for about two weeks before introducing into the main tank. If you have a reef system...invest in a skunk cleaner shrimp or two. They'll eat the little buggers right off the fish if they come back.

The oceans surely would swallow us before a rock comes down to smite the planet of it's life.
Nov/2004
TCTFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 12:17 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I know inverts are not an ich risk, but what I was more concerned about was that they could be carriers. If the ich was able to survive in the water from the bucket isolation and then when I put the hermits back in they would carry that water and re-infect the tank. I've never really had a nitrate problem. The ich came in on a blue tang that had been quarantined. For the history of this link see the "Tangs Diseased" thread in this general discussion forum.
For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities...have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse. (Romans 1:20)
johnkristie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 01:38 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you want to be completly safe, which you do, rinse them in some tank water from your main in a bucket before putting them back in.

Tags
ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com