Potter's Angel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MommaFishels

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 75 gallon that has been up and running for several months now. All the fish were doing great until I brought home about 6 soft corals and LPS (I couldn't resist the deal). Well I have always heard just toss the corals in but the thought never crossed my mind that I might stress my fish (dumb I know). Well the fish were stressed and 3 came down with ich (including the Potter's Angel). To add insult to injury, I purchased a UV Sterilizer and came home yesterday to find my tank at 84 degrees instead of the usual 80 degrees.

My water parameters are good (0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, 0 Nitrate)as I test them roughly every 2 weeks but now my Potter's Angel has lost his color by that I mean, his vibrant colors are now washed out. We fed with Metronidizole and vitamins. The other 2 seem to be doing well and the rest of the fish are still doing great.

I am worried about Potter's and any advice would be appreciated.

They are all at least 8" in diameter so placing them in the tank and rearranging must have stressed them. That's what I was told anyway by a couple of people but I am a complete newbie and just started adding corals. I got a GREAT deal on all of them. If it helps I added a Torch, Hammer, 2 Toadstools, Galaxia, Kenya Tree, rock filled with Polyps and pink star polyp. Oh and a finger leather. Did I add enough? LOL. I had to take them home that day in order for me to receive a good deal.

Potter's are normally a shy species and yes, rearranging its habitat will cause stress, but should be swimming about in a couple days if left alone.

That is what is bizarre. My Potter's is not shy at all. He will come to the front of the glass and he plays with my Yellow Tang (weird I know). The only difference in him now is his washed out color. Is that from Ich or is that from the heat going up too much? Does it mean something else? His behavior and eating hasn't changed at all.
I am just afraid I am not heeding warning signs.

Ich needs to be treated outside of the main tank. An antibiotic will not cure Ich. You need to set up a QT tank and put ALL the fish in there. The best method to cure Ich is a 4-6 week course of hyposalinity. The Ich parasite can not live without a host, nor can it live in water with a SG of 1.009. The basic treatment is to remove all fish from the display tank so that the parasite dies in that tank while treating all the fish in a seperate tank.

Please see this article for hyposality
And these for the life cycle of Ich and treatments:
ICH articles
Aquarium Fish
Aquarium Fish
Aquarium Fish
Aquarium Fish
Aquarium Fish

Back
Top Bottom