Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-29-2013, 03:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Powder Blue Dead, Blue Eye Tang Dead, Kole Tang Not Looking Great

I'm not having the best of luck with white spot in my tank. As I said I've lost 2 fish over the weekend and my kole tang is looking a bit fragile too. Normally he's out and about in fact one of the most active fish in my setup. Today he barely comes out and when he does I make sure I get as close as possible to check him out. It's happened Witt the 2 fish that died hence why I am worrying..... They all had white spot and suddenly developed a flaky skin appearance. I can't see much white spot on the kole tang but it does look particularly flaky. Is this due to the parasite eating away at its flesh?

The only other tang I have in there is a Regal tang and so far it's been the most fortunate. It has had white spot in the past but always fought it off. She's big and strong and nothing gets in her way, however not aggressive towards any other fish.

I'm actually surprised the copperband butterfly I added with the PBT didn't get any white spot. He's also eating frozen and dried food. Good for him!

We are hopefully moving house, viewing a property on Wednesday that looks and sounds like the perfect spot. My intention is to set up my old tank Juwel Rio 240 and QT all fish and treat for white spot. I will in the mean time move the new tank to the new house, set it up with fresh saltwater, maybe half old water and half new (nitrates are quite high with my current set up) and allow the tank to go 'fallow'. I want to be able to add another PBT in the future without any worry there is white spot in my tank. I also plan on QT'ing all fish going forward.

Thanks in advance for all your help and advice.

Fish: Moorish Idol, Powder Blue Tang, Hippo Tang, J Emperor Angel, 3 Chromis, 2 Black & White Clowns, Yellow Tang,
begginersluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:10 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I forgot to mention I also lost my favourite coral. Only had it about 3 weeks. It was a stunning green hammer coral and it got brown jelly disease. It wiped it out pretty quick. Not sure if anything has any relation to each other here but hey..... Rather annoying!

Fish: Moorish Idol, Powder Blue Tang, Hippo Tang, J Emperor Angel, 3 Chromis, 2 Black & White Clowns, Yellow Tang,
Old 04-29-2013, 03:25 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Water tests? Stuff usually has a reason for dying.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:30 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Nitrates are between 20 and 30 ppm. Phosphates are about 1 ppm. Ammo and trites zero.

The reason the fish died was white spot. The reason the hammer died was brown jelly.

I'm just a bit concerned about the kole tang as I've never seen this flaky appearance on any other fish before.

Old 04-29-2013, 05:30 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by begginersluck View Post
Nitrates are between 20 and 30 ppm. Phosphates are about 1 ppm. Ammo and trites zero.

The reason the fish died was white spot. The reason the hammer died was brown jelly.

I'm just a bit concerned about the kole tang as I've never seen this flaky appearance on any other fish before.
Water changes. Phosphates are too high, need to be under .1ppm. The disease outbreak can be a result of stress and poor water quality, it's what sets the disease off, the fish looses its slime coat and parasites can attach. Certainly is what killed the hammer as well IMO. Size of tank?
Old 04-29-2013, 05:37 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

90 gallon. I'm really pissed of as I bought a RODI system from a company in the uk and I've not had ANY customer service whatsoever. It's taken them 12 weeks to sort out a pump box as I'm on bore hole water and I still haven't got one. My TDS is reading 4 something and the nitrates are through the roof.

Old 04-29-2013, 05:42 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

To add I've ordered some Bio Phos 80 to replace my old media as I think it's done its most.

I'm doing weekly water changes but its almost pointless as my RODI water I'm getting is producing water with 50 ppm TDS and over 30 ppm nitrates.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:11 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

You're on the right track.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:25 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Have you tried to use distilled water? At least until the other problem is resolved? It reads at 0 and it's like 79 cents per gal at the local store...may help with the issue...I also just added Phos guard ultra to my tank that has finally brung phosphates down to 0. My nitrates have been 0 too since using distilled water...Maybe worth a try.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:16 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree that stress and/or poor water quality are the main problems that lead to this type of scenario.

For the water, I'd try the big water dispensers outside, or maybe in, your local store (or gas station). I use that and it usually is just over zero TDS. For 25 cents a gallon, it works for me. Not perfect, but much better than other options.

For stress...it is the common issue of Tangs being in "too small" tanks, IMO. The Kole is the only one you mentioned that is suitable for a 90g. Multiple Tangs in a large tank can be tricky. In a small tank (for their requirements), its gonna be difficult to pull off. Even with pristine water, they are gonna be stressed due to what they see as a cramped environment.

For the current problem, I would consider QT and treating now. Drain and clean the DT and start fresh at the new place, if that works out for you.

Tags
dead, eat, eye, powder, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com