Powder Blue Flakey Face

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baldyguy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Got my Powder Blue yesterday and noticed that today she has what looks like flakey skin on her face and around the eye only on one side........... there has been no rubbing/scratching just normal behaviour. Is this Ich if so will treat as such or another disease? I am aware that Powder Blues are prone to getting Ich. many thanks

Almost sounds like HLLE. I copied this from one of my links.

Head and Lateral Line Erosion (hole-in-head disease)

This disease can affect discus, other cichlids, and many saltwater fish. The fish develops holes in it's head and sometimes along its lateral line. Causes are unclear but as in any disease, stress and poor water quality likely play a role. The Manual of Fish Health states that HLLE is probably due to nutritional deficiency, especially of vitamin C. Fish in planted tanks rarely get HLLE, which supports the nutrition idea, since fish can nibble on the plants and obtain extra nutrition. Untergasser also observes that the protozoan Hexamita can be found in the lesions. Untreated cases can eventually prove disfiguring or fatal.

Remedy: First, make sure water quality is optimal and reduce stress. Stopping carbon filtration may help as it can remove nutrients from the water. Then feed a vitamin-enriched food, paying particular attention to vitamin C supplementation. For stubborn cases, some books suggest metronidazole (Flagyl) to eliminate Hexamita (a mildly pathogenic protozoan) from the lesions. Your mileage may vary with that one. Metrozole and Hex-a-mit are commercial medications with metronidazole.

When my tang had HLLE, i found articles that said it was linked to there being stray voltage in the aquarium as well. Might be something just to check just to be sure.

If hlle is the culprit then there really is no treatment available since no one knows for sure what the exact cause is. Just keep up the variety of feedings and water quality.

My Powder Blue has REAL problems..........help!

My Powder Blue has Hole in the Head Lateral Line Disease. This has been pointed to me after another thread so now my question is how do I treat it.

Water is fine nothing wrong with parameters......... nothing else in the tank is showing signs of any problems...........I have read it is a defficiency in vitamin C, not a problem, what food is there available high in vitamin C, I heard that caluerpa/algae is rich in C and should I QT him or leave him where he is to prevent any more stress which I believe is the cause in the first place?

Many thanks for ANY hints and tips people

In the thread earlier it mentioned lack of nutrients in water...........is this from PWC or from Trace elements etc?

I agree with James that excellent water quality is the answer along with Quality feedings. Supposedly things with vitamin C like dried seaweed and Nori. Incidently Jimbo I`ve heard that before about the stray electricity. That`s why I got a ground probe. I`ve never really seen any hard evidence. I`ve heard what James said that they really dont know what causes it.

I'll restate from my last reply on your other thread that there technically is no cure because we do not know the cause. Some speculate nutrition (obvious) along with stray voltage, lighting, water quality, territorial disputes, etc. Regardless, their bodies are not getting enough of something and stressing. An interesting note, at work we have very few hlle problems, but the tangs with hlle are the ones on the lowest end of the totem pole. In other words, those that are picked upon most are the ones with hlle, semi-picked on have a little erosion here and there, while the dominant has none. This occurs in two different displays with two different species of tangs. An Atlantic blue tang with horrible hlle and being picked on heavily (not anywhere near dominant) was removed into a holding tank by itself and was clear of hlle and any other lesions within 2wks-30days time. There is no live rock in either the two displays or holding tank. What does this mean? You tell me lol. Personally I think it has to do with nutrition and community stress. Keep up the water quality and feed a variety of foods. It wouldn't hurt to use an additive like Selco. Sorry if this doesn't help...

So IYO Seaweed/Nori added into the tank will help with the Vitamin C and hope to clear up this problem....?

The major factor in a tangs diet is algae, so yes nori should be used and fed daily. I would also not hesitate in feeding a mixture of food including nori, which is good for all your fish.

The tang feeding off of the nori or dried seaweed will add vitamin C to his system. Plus the fact that he is a herbivore seaweed will help with his overall health.

The community stress would make sense as when the Blue was added it was picked on for a while by other Tangs to attain it's status............. I am going to remove him to the QT tank for a few weeks and see if this helps to cure it all before reintroducing to the main tank and monitoring...........many thanks all for the direction.

Back
Top Bottom