powder blue tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reefway

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
how long does this fish start to eat? I bought it 2 weeks ago and I havent seen him eating at all!!! he seems fine and healthy, swimming around just like the others

..they are hard to acclimate most times...what are you feeding it? they seem to like dried thing..like flakes or dry algae. and waht size is your tank, better be big or the tang police will get you! :grab:

lol... mines only a 90gal and hes about 3" I tried dried purple seedweed, formula 1&2, mysis,brine....but he wont even look at it!!!

lol...maybe thanks anyways I will post it in a week later or so to see what is going on with him

Well, this post answered my last question. You need a larger tank to fit the tang and angel fish in.
You should feed nori about 3 times a week. They will also eat meaty food, like mysis. If he won't eat, try soaking food in garlic guard (no scientific proof on getting them to eat) but it has been proven to strengthen their immune systems. From my experience, when I add the garlic, the fish go into a feeding frenzy. I would also soak in Zoe and Selcon.

Since the post was about PBT's, that's where my question came from. I believe Reefway has a 90G which is probably pushing it but not to the extent that he should panic because he thinks he needs at least a 125 (assuming it's a he)

Like I said in another post, to some extent it's all subjective based on where you get your information. I'm a big fan of Bob Fenner and take his advice as the gospel (totally subjective choice) and his recommendations more often than not are mirrored on other sites as well. WWM suggests 100 for the PBT and possibly as low as a 60 for the Regal (though odds are it won't eat and won't be around long).

Blue tangs are very skittish when first introduced into a tank. When I got mine a few months back it played the 'dead game' diving for any cover and laying on it's side. It seemed to not feed, but if I stayed on the other side of the room I could see it occasionaly nip at some nori. This was in a QT tank. It's much less skittish now in the main tank, but still ducks for the rocks when I approach. When I'm sitting back on the couch it comes out and competes for a nip of the nori.

Give it some time to acclimate and watch if from afar.

mine started eating slowly

I was just trying to share my limited experience with powder blues and what I feed them. Like I stated, both my 1st one and this one started eating slowly: only live food in the form of mysis, ogo and stuff on the rocks. Then it took to frozen mysis, sea veggies and eventually flake voraciously. Then it started to get phat (fat/grow), regaining its spectacular color, and beating HLLE.

One way to make sure the fish is eating is dont buy it unless it is eating. I dont ever buy a fish from the LFS unless he shows me it is eating. This would help alot of folks not to bring a fish home that is not eating. JMO

Back
Top Bottom