Powder Blue Tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skidrow52

Aquarium Advice Regular
Bought a PBT from new arrivals of a pet store, the fish in my tank since 2 days now and is not eating or grazing on the Live Rocks, it looks v healthy with no ICH symptoms.... the first day it was v shy and was only hiding bedhind the rocks but since yesterday evening I see him pushing himself in the wavemaker like it is playing or enjoying it, but do not want to eat ANYTHING, I am worried, water parameters are all good , other fishes are all doing well eating well... I know its hard to keep PBT"s I am a new saltwater fish hobbyist with a couple of months experience. I tried dry seaweed with veggie clips as well but it doesnt like anything to eat.

Pic is attached.

Attachments

• IMAGE_042.jpg
    IMAGE_042.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 126
Have you tried soaking the food and seaweed in garlic. Also try feeding some frozen mysis. If you do feed brine make sure it`s vitamin fortified.

hi Mike thanks for your quick reply, no I have no clue how can I do garlic soaking, shall I crush the garlic make a paste and add soak the seaweed in this paste?

You can get some garlic at most LFS. I think it`s called Garlic Guard. I`ve heard people going to the grocery store and buying garlic oil and using that. Dont forget to try frozen mysis also.

sometimes it just takes time for a fish to recover from the move. Usually after a few days they do start eating. Try hanging nori in the tank on a clip.

I tried to take it out last night but it hides behind the rocks and I couldnt make it, will try again today and remove him from the main display tank!

He was probably trying to deal with the spots when you thought he was playing in the wavemaker flow.

You're braver than me! Was always scared of the "powder" tangs (blue and brown) since they are highly sensitive IMO. Heard of so many times where either was introduced and all heck broke loose.

Best of luck to you!!

If you're lucky, he/she may visit your skunk cleaners. They'll pick them off and munch on em.

Even though this might be true they wont be able to keep up with the reproducion of this parasite. You`ll need to QT this fish and treat. Hypo will be your best bet IMO. Read these

Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part I by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part II by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

ATJ's Marine Aquarium Site - Reference - Hyposalinity Treatment

Marine Fish Diseases and Parasites

Don't get me wrong, I didn't mean that it would keep up with the parasite, just that they will pick off the cysts, which will help keep the fish from flashing against the rocks. If the cysts are off the fish it will help as the parasite feeds off of the animal. QTing just the tang won't do too much against the parasite if there are other fish in the tank too.

I think it takes something like 30 days to completely go through the whole phase of the ich parasite (from being in the substrate, swimmers, cycsts on the fish, etc.). If it's just the tang in there then a 30 day QT of the main tank would ensure that the parasite is no longer there.

Oh a miracle my wife took out the PBT and it is in the quarintine tank now ... I am out of town since 2 days now, going back tonight and will update ... :)

by the way in the same main tank from where we took out the PBT has some butterflies which shows ICH signs at night and next day morning but in afternoon I dont see anything :/ weird..

The only way your DT will be rid of the parasite is to be fishless for 7-8 weeks. If you have any fish in there the ich is still there.
BTW Jaybird I was not saying you said that I was just pointing that out to the OP. I knew what you meant.

The only way your DT will be rid of the parasite is to be fishless for 7-8 weeks. If you have any fish in there the ich is still there.
BTW Jaybird I was not saying you said that I was just pointing that out to the OP. I knew what you meant.

No worries and nothing taken in any way other than trying to give the OP the best possible info.

The white that you see on the fish is the cyst, which is feeding off the fish. When that releases there will be a whole lot more of the parasite in the tank. The ones released from the fish will go down to the substrate, rocks, etc, and be dormant for a little while. Then they will become free-swimming and look for another fish.

My PBT died yesterday in the QT tank :/ Anyways I saw a lot of ICH on my other fishes and I got v upset, I added a lot of Marine Cure (ICH Med) medicine at night and in morning the fishes look 90% better, I am now worried what to do as it seems ICH is in my DT as well :/

You`ll need to read those links I posted first. Then you`ll need to QT all fish and treat. You`ll need to leave your DT fishless for 8 weeks to break the life cycle of the parasite. The ich medicine that you put in the tank will not work. It looked better because alot of the parasites fell off to the substrate in which 200 little ones called tomites will come from each individual parasite. Later it will be worse than it was yesterday. BTW I`m moving this to the sick fish forum.

Back
Top Bottom