Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-25-2007, 08:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Powder Blue Tang Not Eating

Hello,

I've got a 100 gallon saltwater tank with 150 lbs or rock. The tank has been up and running since 12/06. Water parameters are perfect. For the last 4 months, the tanks inhabitants have been 1 blue tang, 1 bi color psuedo, 1 true perc, and 1 scooter blenny along with a cleaner shrimp, a CBS and a bunch of hermits. I also have a bunch of corals.

I recently added a Powder Blue Tang. He is slightly larger than my blue tang and very healthy looking. He has been in the tank for a week now. The fish swims around and seems to be grazing on live rock. He also occassionally nips at the Nori I put in the tank (the blue tang loves it).

My problem is that he won't eat. I feed mysis shrimp and occasionally some krill but he is just not having it. While everyone else is scurrying about picking at the food, the Powder Blue just swims by it. I don't get it.

What should I feed him? I don't see any signs of ick or any other problems with this fish. His colors are good and he is swimming all over the place, he just won't eat. Any tips?

Old 07-25-2007, 09:12 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
My guess is that he is getting more then you think he is off of the rocks and such. Just keep offering the nori and mysis. He will just one day decide you arent trying to poison him and eat.

My tangs also love romaine lettuce. You might put a piece of that in there on occasion.

Old 07-26-2007, 02:17 AM   #3

You might be right. It had crossed my mind but I still get dissappointed every time I see him swim by food.

I'm going to try the lettuce. You know, I'd seen a very large aquarium at the mall once where they had put pieces of brocoli in the tank and the fish were definitely nippin' at it. I'd always wanted to try that but didn't know if tossing veggies in the tank would foul up the water in a smaller tank. This tank was huge.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:27 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
I feed broccoli as well and the tangs do like it. I feed on a clip so once they are through (about an hour) I remove the broccoli stalk.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:26 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

broccoli! brilliant! lol
Old 07-26-2007, 06:06 PM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I feed my tank every other day but on the off days I feed my tangs seaweed selects, Broccoli and lettuce. He should be OK if he`s nipping at it.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 07:47 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

My tang gets nori (San Fransisco Bay brand Sally's Seaweed Salad) every other day. Just as important as providing these fish with food to graze on is using dietary suppliments for your prepared food. Try soaking your frozen food (once thawed and rinsed) in a product like Garlic Extremem or Garlic Guard. It is supposed to boost the immune system and stimulate appitite. Things like Selcon, Zoe and Vita-Chem are also very good to add to prepared foods. Also, it may just take finding the right food for your tang. I am a fan of Ocean Nutrician Prime Reef frozen cubes. OSO Spirulina flakes are also great for tangs. the more variety you offer the better the entire tank will be.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:20 PM   #8
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by lando
the more variety you offer the better the entire tank will be.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 01:43 PM   #9

Thanks for the replies guys.

Quote:
I am a fan of Ocean Nutrician Prime Reef frozen cubes. OSO Spirulina flakes are also great for tangs. the more variety you offer the better the entire tank will be.
I'm going to look for those today at the LFS, or something similiar. Hopefully I'll end up finding something that he likes.

Mainly I feed mysis but I have also been using this other stuff that comes in a little bottle and you squirt a pump of it in the tank a few times a week. Fish seem to love that but the powder blue hasn't caught on yet. God what is that stuff called?!!
Old 07-27-2007, 05:20 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Marine Plankton by Liquid Life?

Tags
blue tang, eat, eating, not eating, powder, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com