Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-15-2004, 04:09 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Powder Blue Tang - UPDATE

125/80 lbs LR/wet-dry/F-404/nitrates, nitrites, ammonia = zero.

My Powder Blue Tang (Mr. Blue) started developing small white spots very soon after I bought him. He was the first fish in the tank and has always looked very healthy - except for the spots.

He swims and eats constantly - and never scratches himself on the rocks. I have noticed that as of late he's not as active and isn't nearly as interested in algae as he used to be. He still isn't scratching. He also likes to sit directly in the return flow from the wet/dry as soon as the lights dim.

It looks like the spots could be silt from the tank substrate which is CC, because the spots vary greatly in severity every day. Some days he looks clean, some days he's completely spotted. His behavior seems to remain constant, although it appears he may be irritated by the number of fish that now inhabit his space...

Is there anything I should be concerned about?

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Clown Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 04:33 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

That sounds like a case of ick to me, Tangs are very prone to it. Unfortunately, you are going to need to get ALL of your fish into QT as soon as possible and begin treating them. The main tank will have to be fallow for 6 weeks minimum so the parasite can go through its life cycle and die off. Meanwhile, you can treat the fish in QT with either Cuppramine or hypo-salinity. If you do a search in the forums you should be able to find a lot of information on exactly how to treat them. HTH

tripper

Old 12-15-2004, 04:51 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

He's looked like this for about 6 months since I bought him. None of the other fish show any signs of ick. Would he really live that long with what, on the surface, appears to be the worst case of ick ever - without exhibiting the signs of ick?

Is it possible that the water conditions are very good and his environment is so stress-free that the ick just isn't bothering him?

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Old 12-15-2004, 04:54 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
are you sure its not sediment that is floating around in the tank and attaching itself to the tang? I thought my clowns had ick and looked like what you are describing and this went on for 3-4 months and none of the other fish had it...now 2 years later and they never came down with ick...I determined it was sediment from the tank bottom that was attached to the clown
Old 12-15-2004, 04:57 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

It is possible that he could be living with the ick, I will leave it to the experts here to diagnose that. I had an ick outbreak a while ago and not all of my fish showed symptoms, but because all fish can be carriers, I was told to remove all the fish from the tank so that the parasite would die out in the main. I then treated everyone in QT regardless of whether they showed signs of ick or not, and added them back to the main after it had been fallow for 6 weeks.

Hopefully this is something else that is more easily solved . . . ick outbreaks are the worst.

tripper
Old 12-15-2004, 05:01 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripper
Hopefully this is something else that is more easily solved . . . ick outbreaks are the worst.

tripper
Amen to that - that's why I'm trying to be proactive. It looks like fishman has had the same experience that I have - probably sediment from the tank. He does stir up the bottom by nipping at algae here and there, but the other day he looked worse than ever and seemed rather lazy.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Old 12-15-2004, 05:05 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Just thinking outloud, but what you might want to try is putting just the tang in QT for a few days. If your QT is bare bottom, you would expect the sediment to fall off after a while and you would be able to confirm that it is just sediment sticking to him. This, of course, only works if you have a bare bottom QT.
Old 12-15-2004, 05:28 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I might just monitor him for behavioral changes consistent with the disease, indefinitely.

But if I need to pull him, that'll be the plan.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Old 12-20-2004, 01:25 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Just a thought...if there are an excessive amount of bubbles in the main display, they could be sticking to him, giving the appearance of ick.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:17 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
He's looked like this for about 6 months since I bought him.
That's what's making me think it may not be ick. How about a freshwater dip on one of those days when the spots are more dense? It may just put your mind at rest.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue tang, powder, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com