Powder brown tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beckyforvols

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I had ich in my tank, 55 gallon.:( Kohl tang was 1st infected and covered in it. Before I realized, had gotten a maroon clown. He had been quarantined for over 2 wks, and when I put him in the big tank, he got mucus all over him. He didn't eat for 3 days, and I treated the tank with quICK cure. He cleared up and is eating fine now. But this morning, I tturned the lights on and noticed ich returning, and the powder brown tang is scratching on the bottom and seems to have brown spots all over him.:confused: Clown is getting mucous again, and my kohl tangs color is VERY light. Have green chromis and they seem to be alright-though one has a few white spots on tailfin. We've also been running a Magnum 350 for extra cleaning, that we borrowed from the fish store(definitely investing in one of those!!) I read something about black ich-I'm at a loss-any help out there?

Also, I have been treating the tank for about 8-9 days. Have done one pwc (scheduled) and put new filters in 2 days ago, after it seemed everything had cleard up. Took the filters out and just treated again with quICK cure.

There are only 2 proven methods to eradicate ich. One is copper, the other is hyposalinity. I suggest you get ALL the fish out of the tank and into a qt and start either treatment. You must leave the main tank with no fish for at least 6 weeks for the ich parasites to die off with no host. Is this a reef tank, FOWLR or fish only?
Also, a 55 is way too small for 2 tangs, especially a powder brown.

Not to mention the powder brown is notoriously sensitive. Combine that with a small tank - and another tang, you're gonna have more problems even if you do think the ick is gone.

How many other fish are in there?

Besides the 2 tangs...maroon clown, 4 green chromis(small) coral banded shrimp, 2 anemones, feather duster, and a peppermint shrimp I haven't seen in a few days. We had tried to net the clown when we saw him ailing and couldn't catch him to save our lives. There are pics of my tank on my profile-I'd hate to dismantle the tank. We have more rock in there since those pics.

Both of those tangs should really be in a larger tank. I think you will have problems no matter what you do to treat the current problem. When all the fish go back into the 55 I wouldn't be surprised if you have another issue pop up. That is a lot of large fish in a 55.

IMO the Kole tang will be OK in a 55 but the Powder brown is already pretty finicky let alone in a too small a tank. As far as treatment I dont think tangs do that great in copper. I would do the hypo if it were me.

Back
Top Bottom