Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-03-2004, 04:44 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist
Funny this should come up...we just had our first death in the tank, a yellow tang. The flow from a maxi-jet 1200 kept it slammed against some live rock and it couldn't get away. I turned off all pumps, peeled the tang off the rocks, and it swam away. It was a bit deformed, and had a few nicks and tears in it's fins, but I thought it was going to make it.

A couple days later it was gone. Completely, gone. I guess it died and was eaten...

"Caution: Cape does not enable user to fly." -Batman Costume warning label
Mrbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 08:58 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic
the Maxi-Jet "strainer" is designed to prevent a large intake pressure from occouring. if a fish were to be swept into the grill, the surface area of the body would only cover a small part of the grill. the water would be allowed to easily flow around the body and enter from a different angle. If you place your finger on the grill you can feel for yourself. A healthy fish would have no problem dis-loging themselves from the powerhead.
This picture shows what RocketSeason means:

- Mike
125 gal. reef w sump/refugium & 8-bulb 640w T5's
45 gal fresh w/plants + CPF lighting
boardsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 09:56 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
I have a pic in my gallery that shows it too. (slightly different strainer)
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 04:34 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Wow they sell powerheads with no plastic piece covering the intake? I use maxijets and a penguin ph and they all have a plastic piece covering it. And to be even safer I got sponges to cover the plastic pieces.
foob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 01:01 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I remember once that I over fed my ocellaris so much it had trouble swimming. She floated by my aquaclear 150 HOB intake and she got stuck. It was kind of humorous because she didn't seem to even put up a struggle to get free, kind of like she was so lazy from eating so much to care or to move, just wanted to relax. After a few seconds of me laughing I unplugged my HOB and she floated away like a blimp.
Paintballs look like bubble gum
14G starphire,150W MH+32W act03,AquaClear 150 HOB filter, 75W EboJager, IceProbe chiller, Remora skimmer, closed loop SCWD mag5, auto toper-offer.
klam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 01:29 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to XXFirefighter Send a message via Yahoo to XXFirefighter
I have never seen a powerhead without some sort of strainer of some sort...
XXFirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 01:41 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak
I haven't seen one without a strainer either, but since you don't have one, I assume either someone stole the part out of the box because theirs broke, you bought it incomplete from a garage sale or friend, or you accidentally broke it. Most LFS will order parts- so if you want the strainer that's supposed to come with your powerhead, ask if they'll order one or if they have one they don't need. My sotore used to keep incomplete shipments in back so we'd have parts for all types of filters, etc. The soponge idea is probably best, imo. Then if the fish should be caught in the suction he won't be harmed by the softness of the sponge. Good luck!

frshwaterfinatc is offline   Reply With Quote

deaths, eat, powerhead

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com