Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 05-02-2012, 01:34 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Nu-Nu the eel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: So Cal
Posts: 5,455
Many poeple on here know that my brother and i own a chalk bass. We have told just about everyone that has a 20 gallon + reef tank to get one, so i hope you feel out pain when i say charlie might not make it. Came upstairs to read and i looked in the tank and saw charlie "eating" a dead hermit crab. Upon closer inspection i noticed that the hermit crab was actually pinching his mouth and it was hard for charlie to breath and swim. This sent us into panic mode and we immediatly tried to capture him. For those of you that have ever tried to capture a fish in a reef tank i will tell you that it is not fun. Chalk bass are one of the fastest marine fish i can think of... I kid you not, in the blink of an eye he is across the tank. After 45 minutes to an hour and many swear words we actually caught him!! I pretty much closed my eyes and lifted the net out of the water to find him in there... Lucky i know. We Lifted him out of the water, removed the evil dead hermit crab and put him back. Charlie slowly swam to his hiding spot and has not moved since. He is lethargic and is breathing quite heavily. I know there is nothing anyone on here can do for us except pray for our little buddy to make it.

Thank you all for reading this post....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1062756242.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	92431  
__________________

__________________
Nu-Nu the eel is offline  
Old 05-02-2012, 01:54 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Trena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Texas City, tx
Posts: 164
Awww,he is so cute too! I'm praying for you little buddy.
__________________

__________________
Trena
Trena is offline  
Old 05-02-2012, 02:00 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Nu-Nu the eel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: So Cal
Posts: 5,455
Thanks aton. It really means alot! Poor guy is still hiding and he is still breathing heavily
__________________
Nu-Nu the eel is offline  
Old 05-02-2012, 02:35 AM   #4
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 18,543
Poor charlie. I miss my chalk bass. I hope he makes it. No chance at QTing him?
Sniperhank is offline  
Old 05-02-2012, 02:38 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gboy66's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cali baby
Posts: 6,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank
Poor charlie. I miss my chalk bass. I hope he makes it. No chance at QTing him?
Very sad not really, and it would be killer trying to catch him again

I cant believe it, but i tossed some food in and charlie actually ATE! amazing, i hope he is ok. He did not look good at all earlier
__________________
Gboy66 is offline  
Old 05-02-2012, 02:52 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Lunchbox209's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: stockton CA
Posts: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-Nu the eel
Many poeple on here know that my brother and i own a chalk bass. We have told just about everyone that has a 20 gallon + reef tank to get one, so i hope you feel out pain when i say charlie might not make it. Came upstairs to read and i looked in the tank and saw charlie "eating" a dead hermit crab. Upon closer inspection i noticed that the hermit crab was actually pinching his mouth and it was hard for charlie to breath and swim. This sent us into panic mode and we immediatly tried to capture him. For those of you that have ever tried to capture a fish in a reef tank i will tell you that it is not fun. Chalk bass are one of the fastest marine fish i can think of... I kid you not, in the blink of an eye he is across the tank. After 45 minutes to an hour and many swear words we actually caught him!! I pretty much closed my eyes and lifted the net out of the water to find him in there... Lucky i know. We Lifted him out of the water, removed the evil dead hermit crab and put him back. Charlie slowly swam to his hiding spot and has not moved since. He is lethargic and is breathing quite heavily. I know there is nothing anyone on here can do for us except pray for our little buddy to make it.

Thank you all for reading this post....
The heavy breathing might just be from all the swimming away from the net I would just turn off the lights and see how he does in the morning fingers crossed for you guys
__________________
Lunchbox209 is offline  
Old 05-02-2012, 03:01 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Nu-Nu the eel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: So Cal
Posts: 5,455
Thanks alot! And ya im sure he is tired from all that swimming... At this point im very afraid of him getting ich from being stressed out.

Lil guys is sleeping in his usual spot... I hope i see him swimming tomorrow
__________________
Nu-Nu the eel is offline  
Old 05-02-2012, 03:14 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gboy66's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cali baby
Posts: 6,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-Nu the eel
At this point im very afraid of him getting ich from being stressed out.
Heck i think i might get ich, im so stressed about it too! I can only imagine how he feelt, having a hermit crab lip ring and two guys screaming and chasing him with a net!
__________________
Gboy66 is offline  
Old 05-02-2012, 12:52 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Flreefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 1,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboy66

Heck i think i might get ich, im so stressed about it too! I can only imagine how he feelt, having a hermit crab lip ring and two guys screaming and chasing him with a net!
Lol!! Too funny, what a mental picture!!
Hope he's doing better this morning!
__________________
Flreefer is offline  
Old 05-02-2012, 01:29 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Nu-Nu the eel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: So Cal
Posts: 5,455
Haha ya it was horrible!! He ate last night so we hope he grts better and stays ich free!
__________________

__________________
Nu-Nu the eel is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
bass

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.