Pray for our chalk bass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nu-Nu the eel

Aquarium Advice Addict
Many poeple on here know that my brother and i own a chalk bass. We have told just about everyone that has a 20 gallon + reef tank to get one, so i hope you feel out pain when i say charlie might not make it. Came upstairs to read and i looked in the tank and saw charlie "eating" a dead hermit crab. Upon closer inspection i noticed that the hermit crab was actually pinching his mouth and it was hard for charlie to breath and swim. This sent us into panic mode and we immediatly tried to capture him. For those of you that have ever tried to capture a fish in a reef tank i will tell you that it is not fun. Chalk bass are one of the fastest marine fish i can think of... I kid you not, in the blink of an eye he is across the tank. After 45 minutes to an hour and many swear words we actually caught him!! I pretty much closed my eyes and lifted the net out of the water to find him in there... Lucky i know. We Lifted him out of the water, removed the evil dead hermit crab and put him back. Charlie slowly swam to his hiding spot and has not moved since. He is lethargic and is breathing quite heavily. I know there is nothing anyone on here can do for us except pray for our little buddy to make it.

Thank you all for reading this post....

Attachments

• image-1062756242.jpg
    image-1062756242.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 173
Thanks aton. It really means alot! Poor guy is still hiding and he is still breathing heavily :(

Sniperhank said:
Poor charlie. I miss my chalk bass. I hope he makes it. No chance at QTing him?

Very sad:( not really, and it would be killer trying to catch him again

I cant believe it, but i tossed some food in and charlie actually ATE! amazing, i hope he is ok. He did not look good at all earlier

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Many poeple on here know that my brother and i own a chalk bass. We have told just about everyone that has a 20 gallon + reef tank to get one, so i hope you feel out pain when i say charlie might not make it. Came upstairs to read and i looked in the tank and saw charlie "eating" a dead hermit crab. Upon closer inspection i noticed that the hermit crab was actually pinching his mouth and it was hard for charlie to breath and swim. This sent us into panic mode and we immediatly tried to capture him. For those of you that have ever tried to capture a fish in a reef tank i will tell you that it is not fun. Chalk bass are one of the fastest marine fish i can think of... I kid you not, in the blink of an eye he is across the tank. After 45 minutes to an hour and many swear words we actually caught him!! I pretty much closed my eyes and lifted the net out of the water to find him in there... Lucky i know. We Lifted him out of the water, removed the evil dead hermit crab and put him back. Charlie slowly swam to his hiding spot and has not moved since. He is lethargic and is breathing quite heavily. I know there is nothing anyone on here can do for us except pray for our little buddy to make it.

Thank you all for reading this post....

The heavy breathing might just be from all the swimming away from the net I would just turn off the lights and see how he does in the morning fingers crossed for you guys

Thanks alot! And ya im sure he is tired from all that swimming... At this point im very afraid of him getting ich from being stressed out.

Lil guys is sleeping in his usual spot... I hope i see him swimming tomorrow

Nu-Nu the eel said:
At this point im very afraid of him getting ich from being stressed out.

Heck i think i might get ich, im so stressed about it too! I can only imagine how he feelt, having a hermit crab lip ring and two guys screaming and chasing him with a net!

Gboy66 said:
Heck i think i might get ich, im so stressed about it too! I can only imagine how he feelt, having a hermit crab lip ring and two guys screaming and chasing him with a net!

Lol!! Too funny, what a mental picture!!
Hope he's doing better this morning!

Haha ya it was horrible!! He ate last night so we hope he grts better and stays ich free!

Hope your bass pulls through. What doesn't kill us makes us stronger right!
Good luck with your tank.

Last edited by a moderator:
Off topic posts have been deleted. Please use the PM system or chat room.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom