Preditor Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JPloman

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi there!

I already have one tank but I would like to start a pure preditor tank. I really, really want an eel! Are there any recommendations on this tank?

I already have it, 55 gallons, and its already got live sand and live rock in it. It has been cycling for about 2 months now just to get it going, got a couple turbo snails and a rock crab but that is it. I hate rock crabs, that little bugger pinched me when I took him out of my main tank. :evil: I do not have a sump on it or protein skimmer on this tank. I was thinking since it is just gonna be fish, do I really require that? I have a couple power heads and a standard filter attached to the back of the tank.

Alrighty then, so advise me please!

A dwarf lion fish might do well in there. If this is going to be a predator tank you will definitely need a skimmer. Predators make huge messes and can throw you parameters out of whack. I have a sump and skimmer on my 73 gallon predator tank and all seems well.

Matt

I would get a skimmer.... I have a 55 fowlr with a sump, skimmer and refugium. I have a DFP, SFE and other assorted fish. I highly reccomend a skimmer on a fowlr. A sump would be the way to go IMO but people do well with out them.

eels, lionfish and puffers are known to produce HIGH biolaoads. You need a skimmer and a good one at that. You also need to be doing research on these animals first to help you decide what you really want to have. A 55 gallon is not that big of a tank for fish that produce alot of waste.

Back
Top Bottom