Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-30-2005, 06:24 PM   #1
Preventative Bath/Dip of freshwater before acclimation

OK. Most article says acclimate the fish slowly. In my case, I'd like to get rid of some fish and get a small Blue Hippo Tang. I'm going to acclimate them. However, another website suggests to give a preventative Bath/Dip of freshwater before assimilating the Blue Hippo because of their tendency to carry ich.

Now, wouldn't the fish go into a shock when it is brought to a freshwater situation straight from the LFS bag?

So how is this? Do I first put the thing in a bucket of freshwater, then syphon from the SW tank through a small tube until I full up a 5G bucket?

How is this?

they said Blue Tangs' most common deaths come from wrong acclimation, besides ich. Some websites also share that they meet people who suddenly have ich problems (white spots) after assimilating a Blue Hippo into their healthy tank.

Can someone tell me what the right thing to do is?
Old 09-30-2005, 06:30 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
I would say if you plan on keeping that fish long term you are going to need a bigger tank. IMO you need to skip on the Hippo.

9/02-125 REEF, 125 lbs LR,LS 4x160 VHO, Reef Devil /Sump, Fuge
7/03-55 FOWLR 60lb LR, 50 lb SD sand 2x40 NO strip light, Reef Devil/sump, Fuge

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 11:53 PM   #3
Most Hippos I see in LFSs are somewhere between 1" to 1.5". Just out of curiosity, how long before the Tang would be somewhere in the 5 - 6" length?

Also, any answers to my original post? Thanks.
Old 10-01-2005, 09:43 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
A FW dip will do nothing productive, it will only serve to stress the fish even more then it already is. More appropriate is to QT the fish for 6 weeks and, if needed, do a hypo-salinity treatment for a few weeks. Again...FW dips serve no useful purpose.
Some people are like slinkies...they serve no real purpose yet can still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!:p
Have a great day! Brian
lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 09:50 PM   #5
DAY 3 of the Hippo move-in. I had a lot of great information here regarding acclimation. I tried the drip acclimation process. It took 2 and a half hours. But it was well worth it. The Tang is swimming around, eating spirulina flakes, and hanging out with the false percula wherever it goes. Cross my fingers. The tang is under strict observation right now.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:03 PM   #6
I would not do a FW dip. They don't work and can cause stress which could allow ich to take control. The only two effective means of treating SW ich are copper and hyposalanity. There is a third method called a three day transfer method, but it's quite involved. I'd try hyposalanity in a QT for 4-6 weeks in a smaller tank before introducing it to your ST. You'll need a refractometer to be sure it's 1.009. Be sure to slowly drop the salanity over a few days and then raise it again after the six weeks. Hyposalanity is approximately 1/3 that of NSW. Drip acclimation with airline tubing (1 drop every 3-5 seconds) over 2-3 hours is the best way to get him ready for your ST. Good luck!

acclimation, freshwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com