Problem with leathers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamal-188

Aquarium Advice Addict
A couple of my finger type leathers are not doing well. One is detoriating really bad after having it in the tank for several months. It started getting white around the base and falling aparts. Now two of my other leathers are shrinking and look to be doing the same thing. What is going on, should I try dipping the, I have some Kent techD?

Can you post your water parameters and more information about the rest of your tank inhabitants?

hicmndr said:
Can you post your water parameters and more information about the rest of your tank inhabitants?

Yeah, was going to post, I know better to post within listing the usual but for some reason I left that part out :wink:

Amonia/nitrite 0
Nitrate <5
MG 1150
CA 375
Alk 3.0 meq/l

I know the last three are a little low but I can't seem to get them up. I've done a few 20% water changes with tropic marin and I drip one gallon w/ 2tsp of kalk every night. I also add a 2 part solution in the morning and have been adding 2-3 table spoons of Epson salt per day. I have various soft/hard corals and a couple clams.

Do they look different than when they are shedding? Is there mucus around the white parts?

Also, do you run carbon 24/7? I always notice a difference when I don't have any in there so I've come to realise softies like to engage in chemical warfare at every given opportunity.

They are not shedding, I'll take a pic tonight if I can borrow a dig cam, mine is having problems. I run chemi-pure 24/7 which is similiar to GAC. It just looks as if the coral is rotting away starting at the base...

If it's necrosis then you need to intervene and start cutting.

I'll second the carbon. After adding my leathers I noticed periods where my other corals were suffering some. I'm now running carbon and it seems to have helped quite a bit.

Back
Top Bottom