Problem with my SeaClone Skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

William

Aquarium Advice Addict
Its powered my a Maxijet 1200, and I can't get the dern thing set propperly.

It pours billions [ well, I may be exagerating a little ] of microbubbles into my tank, and the froth either dosn't ever work its way up to the cup, or gets up there so fast that the cup is full in a few hours.

I can't seem to get that twisty little airvalve set just right..

Can anyone give me a hand? Thanks.

Is it broken in? In general when I want the skimmer on I'll turn the air adjustment valve 1 and 3/4 turns out. There will be some bubbles but let it just run through them. They'll disappear after about 30 mins. to an hour. It works for me atleast.

Is this a new skimmer or one thats been in place for a while?

New skimmers take some time to 'break in' so to speak. And in this breakin process its best to close off the air totally and just let water flow thru it. This is beccause in the molding process a thin film is built up on the skimmer and this affects the skimmers inital performance.

After a few days you should be able to open up the air valve and not have it dump bubbles into the main tank.

If this is on old skimmer thats been running for a while you might need to take it all apart and give it a good cleaning.

I have a SeaClone 100 and for the first 3-4 months I had the same problem. I just closed the air valve all of the way for a few days at a time. finally, it just started to work. i open the valve all of the way for a minute or two, then put the cap on loosely. it collects all sorts of gunk now. It is working like a charm, just takes a while to get going. i no the bubbles look terrible and can cause puff-eye disease in your livestock so just turn it off if you are still getting a lot of bubbles. Good Luck.

Back
Top Bottom