Problems!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kgriffith

Aquarium Advice Regular
Okay guys I am having big problems here...

Moved my tank downstairs this weekend.
I eliminated my trickle filter and replaced with a 20g sump with sock. I also have a 10g refugium that overflows into the sump.

Since my move my tank has developed a terrible algae bloom and a few of my corals are dying. I dont know what is going on, my liverock has a green dust on it and I am wiping slime off the glass every day.

I am wondering if it is the caluerpa in my refugium. I have chaeto and caulerpa which is lit 24/7

My levels are....
nitrate 8ppm
phos 0
ph 8
calcium 400

Any suggestions?

What are your ammonia levels?

I'm guessing that you emptied the tank for the move, and maybe even took the sand out? If you reused the sand, it most likely released a bunch of nasties into the water column causing a mini cycle. It could be the caluerpa, but I think when that goes bonkers it causes your water to turn white.

I'd do some water changes, assuming it's a water quality issue from the move.

What are your ammonia levels?

I'm guessing that you emptied the tank for the move, and maybe even took the sand out? If you reused the sand, it most likely released a bunch of nasties into the water column causing a mini cycle. It could be the caluerpa, but I think when that goes bonkers it causes your water to turn white.

I'd do some water changes, assuming it's a water quality issue from the move.

I did not remove the substrate during the move and my ammonia is 0... I will do some water changes over the next few days to see if that helps. Before the move I was having some red algae film on the glass which prompted me to add a phosphate reactor and that seemed to help. But as I recall after adding the phospahate reactor the glass would develope a green film rather than the usual red after a few days...
I am not sure if the 2 corals are completely dead and if I should remove them or leave them be. The scoly is soft to the touch and slightly transparent and my bubble is no coming out at all and lost some bubbles... when I used a small powerhead to attempt to blow off the rocks..

sigh I bought some more snails today, I think SCUBA would be a cheaper hobby, haha just kidding ... but not about the cost part those 4 doz snails were 75 bucks...

Last edited by a moderator:
Somehow through the move of the tank it seems that something went awrie. The nitrate reading would cause an algea bloom. Frequent PWC`s will help. I hope everything gets better.

Wanted to update you guys, my algae bloom has not gone away and I am scraping the glass daily, my bubble coral died and it appears that my scoly has died but I do not no how to tell for certain, its a fleshy white color and its mouth is constantly open...

What should I do?

Do me a favor and post your water test results. Are you still doing PWC`s? I`m trying to figure out what is a scoly? But if it`s white then it`s bleached. How about a pic?

Back
Top Bottom