Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-11-2009, 05:05 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

Keep an eye out on your QT's parameters as it may go through another cycle.

120 Mixed Reef
InfernoST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:06 AM   #32
Thanx but no.....

You need the powerhead, a heater and an ammonia source to keep the bacteria alive. Could be as easy as a raw shrimp (or portion there of), fish food or pure ammonia.

CaptainAhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:13 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice Regular
was the trash can used to cure ever used for trash?
bobothefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 08:54 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi everybody, I'm back from vacation...

We only lost one damsel while I was gone, so there are five left. They are all doing very well. I took measurements yesterday and here they are:

Ammonia: 2.5 ppm
Nitrite: 10 ppm
Nitrate: 8 ppm

...so this means that my display tank never actually cycled, though it probably cycled somewhat. The cause of everything isn't known, but I think the right thing to do is pretty clear at this point: start completely over.

This means I get the opportunity to change a lot of things, though. This time I want to cycle the tank using live rock. I already have 100 lbs that I'm trying to keep sort of live in a trash can (BTW, none of the trash cans I use for LR have ever been used for trash) that I'll use to seed about 150 lbs more. I don't know if there's anything else I should provide, other than good water circulation.

I've drained the tank except for a bunch of wet sand in the bottom. What's the best way to clean it so that I know nothing bad is still in there from whatever happened to the tank before? I'm assuming vinegar or bleach for the inside of the display tank?

-Adam Horton
AdamHorton is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com