Problems !!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

c0mf0rt

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok I've searched and still need some help... the other day I noticed white ick on my Flame angel and took him back to the store.... long story..... today I noticed that my Foxface and my Yellow tang have tiny black spots.... I have NO QT tank to deal with this.... and inverts all over the main tank.... any ideas???? Will this spread to the inverts or only the fish????

My yellow tang had these parasites a couple years ago. Do a water change and keep your parameters at optimum level and he will shake them. Do you have a UV light as this is very helpful. At least it was with mine. Good Luck

A water change is not going to do anything to help with parasites. A UV is also a very limited item in dealing with parasites. Often being attributed as a cure when in fact it was a part of the larger picture.

A single white spot on a fish does not necessarily mean Cryptocaryon irritans nor does a black spot indicate tubellarians. If they are spreading or you notice movement in the "spots" then it would be reason for concern. Tubellarians are treatable as is C. Irritans but not without a proper QT. If you cannot leave the main tank fallow, the problem will persist as long as there is a fish host to feed it. Until the parasite is without a fish host for 6 weeks, you will continue to have problems until you do QT.

If the black spots on your fish are primarily on the face close to the eyes, it could simpley be from lack of proper foods. Tangs and similar species have pits in the general area around the eyes that become more noticable if in poor water conditions or if not being fed properly fortified foods.

Before you begin any treatment be sure of what you are treating. If possible post a pic. Tubellarians are best treated with formalin dips and C. irritans is best treated with hyposalinity or Cupramine. All of which require the use of a QT.

Cheers
Steve

A water change will help because it will cause the water quality to be better. Many a time, fish will be overun by ich because they are stressed out by poor quality water. That is why I suggested a water change. I speak from experience not book sense since my Tang had this affliction. I just explained to him what I did and the results which were favorable. Also since I`ve had my UV light several years ago, I have not had to worry about ich. The Uv light will kill the parasite while it is young.Just another experience that I`ve had.

Since organisms are exposed to the UV light, the ultra violet rays cause a change in the chemical bonds of the DNA (deoxyribonucleic acid), preventing their multiplication, which will result in annihilation of the specie. Only microorganisms, like algae, parasites or viruses, floating in the water and exposed to the UV light are eliminated

This is copied from The article on uv lights by aquarium advice

Ok thanks..... worst case I drop the few fish I have and wait for the problem to cure.... and by that time QT anything new I get...

melosu58 said:
A water change will help because it will cause the water quality to be better. Many a time, fish will be overun by ich because they are stressed out by poor quality water. That is why I suggested a water change. I speak from experience not book sense since my Tang had this affliction. I just explained to him what I did and the results which were favorable. Also since I`ve had my UV light several years ago, I have not had to worry about ich. The Uv light will kill the parasite while it is young.Just another experience that I`ve had.
With all due respect to your experience, a water change will not eliminate a parasite in any way. While it is a very good first step in dealing with a wide variety of problems in marine aquaria, parasites are not one of them. I am not trying to belittle your experience but I can assure you what you are conveying is quite innaccurate.

While you may have anecdotaly witnessed first hand the results of what the water change has done, it is quite improbable the problem was parasitic in nature from the beginning. Fish do have the tendancy to aquire a short lived immunity to C. irritans but it does not mean the elimination of the parasite. It has simpley adapted to live unhindered by an otherwise healthy fish. The parasite would indeed not be eliminated from the system.

AquariumAdvice said:
Since organisms are exposed to the UV light, the ultra violet rays cause a change in the chemical bonds of the DNA (deoxyribonucleic acid), preventing their multiplication, which will result in annihilation of the specie. Only microorganisms, like algae, parasites or viruses, floating in the water and exposed to the UV light are eliminated

This is copied from The article on uv lights by aquarium advice
The UV article on this site is correct in how the apparatus works but it is most definately not a cure. Rather an aid to a proper and proven cure. In order for the UV to kill, all the free swimming Theronts must pass through the UV which considering the flow rates for effectiveness is not likely before reaching a fish host. The UV does nothing to attack the Trophonts on the fish or the Tomont cysts that are multiplying. By following this method you are banking on sheer luck and risking your livestock and the stock of the people you recommend this to.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom