problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

miner_skyline

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I did a water change on FRIDAY, went to my inlaws Saturday morning, returned back Sunday night and I found 9 dead snails, dead gobie which was 10 months old. dead SPS Coral. and my Skimmer was working harder. water was a little cloudy not what im used to seeing. light timer was not working either I am not sure if 2 days without light killed my SPS Corral? My other fish were not active at all. a week has passed and and everything seems to be ok. any ideas what might of caused this problem?

I assume you mixed your salt for 24 hours and matched ph/temp/sg to the main. If not then the resulting shock to the system could likely be the culprit. How large was the pwc? Was there a power outage while gone?

Lights out for 2 days wouldn't have killed off your SPS IMO. Corals go for days in the wild without light during inclement weather.

How are your water parameters now like nh3/no2/no3?

I agree we need some water test results. I also wonder did you age your PWC water. It is very caustic when you first make it up.

all test are good. the only think i could think of is that after i cleaned up i cleaned the glass with windex. i am sure there was a chance i got windex in the water. could this of caused the problem

Yes that is what it probably was. I use it but I spray it on the cloth in another room and then bring it in and wipe the glass.

Just a side note -

For those of us that are too lazy, too obsessive about streak free shine on our tanks, and having a hard time of breaking the habit of using household cleaners on the tank...if you use window cleaner that is safe for tinted windows (i.e - for cars), it doesn't contain ammonia (or else it would cause bubbles in the tint), so it shouldn't pollute the tank AS much. Not that I am recommending this (because there are still other chemicals), but at least you don't have to worry about the ammonia and its deadly effects.

Sorry to butt in, but I thought it should be mentioned :)

Windex also makes an ammonia free product with vinegar. I use it, but I still spray it on the cloth away from the tank - and not on the tank itself.

Back
Top Bottom