Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-19-2004, 09:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

proper water changing procedure

i know this sounds stupid but i want to make sure i know the proper way to add water to my 90 gal. reef setup

philly
philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 10:37 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Look at monster island forum.

Old 09-19-2004, 10:52 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

If you are just adding all you have to do is add RO/DI water to your tank... The salt shouldn't really evaporate so adding more will just increase the levels. If you are talking chaning then that is kinda a different thing. In that case just get a gravel vac (could just use a syphon but kill two birds with one stone) and vac the bed until you are about 10-20% down. Before you do that you have to have the other water prepared though. It is best to let it aerate first. Some people put RO/DI water into a bucket... fix the salt mixture to the desired level... and run a powerhead to help with aeration. Also you can (are supposed to) heat the water before hand but honestly if it is a small change I usually don't. You just can't flex the temp too much cause it is stressful for the fish. I am not sure if I am forgetting anything. I actually bought a brand new (obviously has to be) gasoline container that holds six gallons of water. Obviously that is a bit more than 10% of a 55 gallon so I do a change about once a week since it isn't much. Makes pouring much easier because of the spout. I was sick of spilling the bucket on myself . Also easier to store away than a bucket because it is taller and thinner.
Old 09-19-2004, 11:09 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattP725
In that case just get a gravel vac (could just use a syphon but kill two birds with one stone) and vac the bed until you are about 10-20% down.
If you have a sand bed you probably want to skip this step. With a sufficient clean up crew and good water flow you should not have any debris on the sand to vacuum. CC will need periodic vacuuming.
46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
phases99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 11:13 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ya, I have a sandbed but I don't have a good crew yet (and I have part CC in mine) so I do vac. You do lose a sizable amount of sand while vacing but I use Atlantic Ocean sand in my tank and it looks as good as store bought and I haven't had any issues with bacteria or any matter like that (I have a descent beach in the area that is untouched by dirtbags). Point being sand is free for me.
Old 09-20-2004, 09:52 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

what the hell is ro and di

philly
Old 09-20-2004, 09:52 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

philly
Old 09-20-2004, 09:53 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

philly
Old 09-20-2004, 10:03 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

ro-reverse osmosis
di- distilled
Old 09-20-2004, 10:03 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

errr deionized

Tags
changing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com