Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-07-2012, 07:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Prophylactic treatment for new quarantines

Do any of you do anything to new arrivals before waiting to see if anything happens?

I've read a lot about it and people seem to be on both sides of the fence.

I think I would like to do something prophylactic to take some guesswork out of what I could be potentially introducing into my main tank.

scottayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:24 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yes I treat all my fish with hypo in a qt as soon as I buy them. Many won't recommend it but there are a lot of people who do this.

^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Hondatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:40 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quarantine for 6 weeks. No need to hypo or treat anything unless a problem is discovered on those 6 weeks. Treatment only adds stress if its not needed.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:44 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism View Post
Quarantine for 6 weeks. No need to hypo or treat anything unless a problem is discovered on those 6 weeks. Treatment only adds stress if its not needed.
That's pretty much what I have done. But I read about people who find things like two days before introduction to the main tank. Imagine if they discovered that two days AFTER introduction?

Hypo requires too much maitenance for me. What about a week of copper treatment? Or formalin?

Or at the very least vitamin enriched foods.

I know quarantine is supposed to be a stress free environment, but in my thinking I would like to stress them out a bit and see if they show what they have, if anything.
scottayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:48 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Hypo does not stress the fish . It actually does the complete opposite. You can qt for 6 weeks and still get hit with ich IMO . If they have ich it will show in hypo .
^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Hondatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:59 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottayy

That's pretty much what I have done. But I read about people who find things like two days before introduction to the main tank. Imagine if they discovered that two days AFTER introduction?

Hypo requires too much maitenance for me. What about a week of copper treatment? Or formalin?

Or at the very least vitamin enriched foods.

I know quarantine is supposed to be a stress free environment, but in my thinking I would like to stress them out a bit and see if they show what they have, if anything.
Stress will only make them more susceptible to disease and they will be worse off when added to the display. If they have something it will make an appearance in 6-8 weeks regardless of stress. This assumes also that you know what your looking for and how to spot problems.

Cuts, spots, blotches, fungus, infection, rapid breathing, clouded eyes, inflamed gills etc, are all signs of problems.

If after 6-8 weeks a fish has no outward signs of illness along with no sign of stress and a healthy appetite then they are ready for the display.

Quarantine is designed to be a stress free environment where fish can reach peak health before being introduced to the tank.

Quarantine 6-8 weeks obviously if you add something new to the quarantine the 6-8 weeks starts over. Nothing wrong with feeding enriched foods however copper is harsh on fish and needs close attention and monitoring to maintain therapeutic levels. Also many fish species do not tolerate copper or other medications well.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:31 PM   #7
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Just QT here. No treatment unless I know what I`m treating for. That is just me and I`m not dogging anyone that does. To each there own.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:47 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Definetly qt for 4 weeks! Ive learned the hard way! In your qt feed vitamin enriched foods and use a parasite prevent treatment additive.

Tags
eat, treatment

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com