Pros and cons of cyano meds?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mashpotatoes74402

Aquarium Advice Freak
What can I expect if I use one of these meds? I've read t can kill beneficial bacteria as well

They work but they won't work forever. Try sucking out as much as you can with water changes, if your overfeeding cut back, clean the filter and pads maybe once a week and do your water changes and that should work to eliminate the problem.

I;ve used those chemicals in every tank I have ever owned, generally once and have had no ill effects. You just have to follow the directions.
It;s a great tool to get rid of the existing cyano, but going forward you will have to adjust something so that it doesnt occur again.

Everyday I siphon some off and replace the water. Maybe just a gallon or so. But in a 34 gallon tank of think it would make a bigger difference Is it a slow decline type of removal?

It all depends on your water quality. If you have removed the reason the cyano came, it will slowly disappear, but if you are still feeding heavily, or not removing waste effectively, then it won't leave.

I'm feeding every third day now. Small portions they eat it entirely. The following two days there is fish poo everywhere. Syphin all that every two days???

Well, from what I'm hearing you describe, you don't have enough flow in your tank. If you are seeing a lot of detritus on the sand bed, you need to increase it so that stuff stays in the water column.
Yes, eaten or not, food doesn't disappear. It's still in the tank and must be removed somehow. Water changes, protein skimming, etc.
Does your tank look like your avatar? How much rock do you have in it?

you definitely need more flow. I would add a power head on the other side aiming towards the front pane. What size tank is this?

Back
Top Bottom