protozoan infection on hairy mushrooms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lance M.

Aquarium Advice Addict
I recently bought a hairy shroom rock (a month ago) and it had 7 shrooms on it. Then it had only 4 that would stay open and fully expand. the other three shriveled up and are still there but they are all small and have white stuff in the center. I talked to my lfs today and he said that it was probably infected and I should dip it in iodine for about 15 minutes. He told me to use lugols but I don't have that and didn't want to buy it since I have iodine at home. I have the Kent Iodine and Kent Tech-I and he said those would work, he just didn't know the dose that should be used. Can anyone help me out, quickly so they don't all die?

I dont know of any set directions. I usually put 2 capfuls in a bowl of SW. I use Kent for that purpose if its needed but I`ve never dipped mushrooms. Just leathers.

Please give params of the tank as lugols dips are a last resort imo. Any brown jelly type substances around the area? Can you get a clear pic for us? What other inhabitants do you have? Possible picking from hermits?...many possibilties at this point...

Ok well I just typed out everything I had and the post was deleted or something went wrong so I don't feel like doing it again right now.... I have never seen a hermit crab on that rock they are on.

params- pH 8.2 stable, KH- 14, NO3,NO2,and NH3- 0, SG- 1.023

Melosu-- What do you mean by a bowl of SW? I have a 2 gallon bucket that should work fine. 2 capfuls for how much SW? and should I rinse them off before replacing into the tank?

A standard Lugol's dip (5%) consists of up to 10 drops/liter of fresh seawater (circulating or aerated) for up to 20mins. Low tolerance corals should have limited time in dip.

I usually use 2 caps in a 2 qt bowl but as I stated I `ve never dipped shrooms so I dont know what results you`ll get. SW is saltwater. and no do not rinse off just place in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom