psuedochromis getting ripped up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hyper96

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just picked up a purple psuedochromis today, which is supposed to be compatlible with the damsel... ive had him for a total of 4 hours now and his tail is all but gone and the two damsels were working on the back of his dorsal fin before i put him in container sperated from the fish...

Any ideas as to what i should do?

steve

welcome to AA :D

first mke sure you keep your water quality excellent right now. that will help the psuedochromis from getting an infection. what size tank do you have? what are the other inhabitants? how muck rock do you have? your new fish will need a place to hide. other will be able to offer you more help, but this a place to start

steve r

i have a 29gallon w/ assorted crabs, jdclark clown, 2 damsels, foxface, fisherman goby and of coarse the psuedo, and about 30 pounds of rock including liverock.

i had to pretty much take apart the rock structure i put in place months ago to catch the two damsels, i have them in a container floating for the moment and plan on bringing to the fish store and giving them to the owner because they are just causing more problems and making things more difficult by having them.

The water quality should be pretty good, except for the sifted sand due to moving things around. And i cant seem to find the goby at the moment and im hoping he didnt get trapped underneath any of the moving rocks.

Does this seem like a good route at the moment?

Damsels are not a great fish to have in any tank if they are placed in first. Can create many problems for fish smaller and/or same size. I'd return them straight away.

As for the Pseudochromis I'd place him in QT and monitor his wellbeing until he physically is back to 100%.

The goby is probably hiding, I wouldnt worry too much.

On the other hand a 29gal is way too small for a foxface, I'd look at housing him elsewhere, a recommended size for a foxface is generally 55gal or more.

Once you have fixed these problems you should be back on track..

A suggested livestock listing once everything is fine should look something like this:

Clarkii Clown
Fisherman goby
Pseudochromis

Plus 2-3 more smallish fish

Maybe another same species clown,
Firefish
Royal Gramma

And look into grabbing some shrimps; fire, scarlet, cleaner etc, these do not add to the bioload.

HTH

Matt

I would be very wary mixing a Pseudochromis with more timid species. They are generaly speaking quite nasty to less boisterous species of fish. The clarkii and Pseudo would be fine together but I wouldn't risk the Firefish and the gramma is iffy. If I actually knew what a Fisherman goby was I'd comment but not even google could help me with that..?

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom