Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-12-2004, 03:14 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

imo your fine !! before i started my reef and got into keeping harder fish i had a puffer in a 55 gallon for over 5 years with out any skimmer !! they are tuff fish !! if ya kill one ya might want to try a gold fish for a bit j/k

Old 02-14-2004, 05:07 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to ogden10
Natterjak,
I would be surprised if you get much result from your skimming at this early stage in your tank anyway. One of the things to remember about puffers is that they have no scales so they are very susceptible to ick and parasite issues. I have battled ick with mine twice. Both times he came through it fine, but I would say have a sick tank, and take one that has been at the LFS for a while. Ask them to feed it for you while you are there to make sure it is eating. Finally about wastes just don't overfeed... When I feed mine I do it one at a time and pick up the scraps that he spits out (which they almost always do). IMO I would say you should be fine for sure for a few weeks as long as your tank is cycled and parameters are ok.

Hope that helps

Old 02-14-2004, 05:18 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

they might be susceptible to ick but when a the tank is rid ick its gone !! the only way for the puffer to get it again is gonna be from another fish ya added !! why ya want to qt all new fish to keep the ick out !! in the 5 pluss years ive owned mine he has only got it 2x due to my fault !! like i said they are some tuff animals ! my little puffer has been stuck in the over flow which made him inhale air which i had to manually burp the air out of him sad but true but pulled thru with out any issues besides he looks like he had a stoke(side of mouth droops a bit hehe) which is its name now !! fun fish to own hope ya enjoy the comics they can be !! watch out for airline tubbing/power cords they love to bite that stuff in half
Old 02-16-2004, 12:18 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks for all the help, guys. We just picked up a small porcupine puffer yesterday, he's about 3" long right now. He seems to be doing well, eats like a pig. He's still a little shy though, puffed up a bit when he saw the dog and then puffed up a bit when he saw us. So we're trying to leave him alone so he doesn't kill himself puffing up!

70g SW
1 percula clownfish
Natterjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 02:27 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The 70g tank is not large enough for this fish long-term, I hope you have additional plans for the future as they will get to be about the size of a football. I would expect at 3" though that you will have probably 2 years or so before it starts to get cramped a bit. Final tank should be 100+ gallons.

While small, they tend to leave inverts alone in my experience. But as they get older, you will hear them snapping up snails during the night which is when they do the majority of their hunting.

In the event ick occurs, hyposalinity appears to be a very safe and effective way to treat them. Quarantine, as mentioned, should be a RULE for preparing this (and all fish) to enter the display tank.

Vary their diet, and be sure to provide some hard shelled food to keep their teeth thrimmed. This is a necessity, as otherwise they will grow and block the both resulting in the slow starvation of the fish.
HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 02:36 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

The hope is to upgrade to a larger tank in a couple years, so we can accomodate him when he gets too large.

70g SW
1 percula clownfish
Natterjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 02:45 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yep, you'll know when the right time is. Enjoy this fish, the are truly unique!

HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clean, cleanup, puffer, puffer fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com