Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-02-2004, 06:47 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to contactpsb Send a message via Yahoo to contactpsb
Puffer pulling fin into gill, and tiny white dots of fins

I have a 150gal tank with a dogface puffer, a lunar wrasse, a miniatus grouper and a blue jaw trigger. I am writing about my puffer. For some weeks now he has has these little tiny white dots on his fins and his eyes have been somewhat milky looking with what could possibly be dots on them as well. These dots are so tiny, I'd equate them to maybe the size of 1 grain of sugar (if not smaller). I didn't think too much of it but it's not going away, and it hasn't spread to any other fish.

I have also witnessed my puffer pulling his fin inside his gill on several occasions. I freaked out the first time or two, but as soon as I peaked his interest and got him up and swimming around he eventually worked it out, and within about 30-60seconds was moving it around again (kinda looked like it was asleep, like when you sit on your foot). I mentioned this in the pufferfish yahoo group, and someone suggested gill flukes, which made me feel terrible because of not taking action on the little white dots (if that's even what they are). I'm looking for suggestions on what to do, and if anyone else's puffer does this "fin inside the gill" routine...

75gal FW: 5 black skirt tetras, 7 bleeding heart tetras, 1 black phantom tetras, 1 golden guarami, 5 Mollies, 1 dwarf guarami, 1 glassfish, 6 albino barbs, 5 tiger barbs, 1 black ruby barb, 1 rubber lipped pleco, 1 Synodontis Lace Cat
150gal SW: Dogface Puffer, Lunar Wrasse, Miniatus Grouper, Blue Jaw Trigger
contactpsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 12:44 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Check for marine velvet/oodinium. It is usually first visible on the pectoral fins and does look like fine sugar coating. If you see it there, it's been thru the gills already and you've gotta act fast.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 12:37 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Follow up.... the past 2 days he is now acting sick. It almost looks like he has been dusted with a shimmery gold powder, like those ladies makeup that are supposed to give you a heathy radiant glow? However it's not having that affect on him. I looked at a bunch of medicines at the LFS and ended up buying Copper Safe by Marcel which is for the treatment of ich and velvet. Does this sound like Velvet to anyone? What else can I do for him and his tankmates? Should the temp be changed or anything?
75gal FW: 5 black skirt tetras, 7 bleeding heart tetras, 1 black phantom tetras, 1 golden guarami, 5 Mollies, 1 dwarf guarami, 1 glassfish, 6 albino barbs, 5 tiger barbs, 1 black ruby barb, 1 rubber lipped pleco, 1 Synodontis Lace Cat
Old 08-14-2004, 01:33 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Yup thats Velvet. been there done that.
You need to move all of the fish quickly to a qt tank and treat with the copper. You can't treat copper in your main, will kill any invert, live rock, etc.
The main tank need to be left void of fish for a period of 8 weeks, this will allow the parasite to go through its life cycle and die off.,
Your puffer is copper sensative, if you can find it, use cupramine. It is a better tolerated form of copper. Also need the proper copper test kit (in this case seachem's multitest kit). Marinedepot.com sells the test kit if you LFS doesn't have it.
I would hurry, not to scare you but I lost 3 fish within 24 hrs to velvet.
Old 08-14-2004, 10:06 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Oh great... well what about this Copper Safe stuff I just dumped in there yesterday, will that not help? I have an empty tank that I guess I could use to QT them, but would like to be sure before I go through all that. Can I get some more opinions (no offense quarryshark, I appreciate that you at least took the time to respond to me so quickly, and it's not that I doubt your expertise, just wondering if maybe there is another route I could take.)
Old 08-15-2004, 03:08 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, the coppersafe will kill the parasite if kept at the proper level, the problem is it will kill everthing else in the tank too (live rock, good bacteria, etc).
As far as waiting, I understand ...I would want other opinion too. The problem is that Velvet will not wait. It is a fast killer and If the fish are infected as bad as you state, it appears that advanced stages have set in and there is not much time. I would move them ASAP.
Sorry, not trying to be "doom and gloom". These are just the fact about treating this parasite. Copper is a QT tank is the best way to treat. Hypo and dips will not do the job.
Here are a few good articles.
http://www.petsforum.com/personal/tr...loodinium.html
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/amylloodiniumart.htm
Also the fallow time for the main is a must, just like any parasitic outbreak.
Once again, not trying to be harsh, the treatment is not easy, but if done correctly it is curable.
Good luck!!!
Old 08-15-2004, 03:12 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

sorry, double post
Old 08-15-2004, 07:56 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

You need to do some very fast water changes on your main. Maybe you can get the copper out before it is absorbed by your rock and sand. QS is right a QT is a must. HE and I are treating for ick right now, he is using hypo salinity and I'm using copper safe. Both will kill your inverts. and coppersafe will kill your liverock, live sand.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 01:48 PM   #9
steve-s

Quarryshark and justmy2cents have definately put you on the right path. Copper is really the only effective treatment for Amyloodinium ocellatum. With the puffer though, I would highly recommend the use of Cupramine over any other type. Puffers do not tolerate copper meds as a rule and the cure can often be as bad as the problem being treated. In this case Cupramine used at 0.4 mg/l will effectively rid the parasite and be less stressful to the puffer. Be absolutely sure it administered in a QT. For the main tank I would get some polyfilters to help remove the Copper Safe.

Cheers
Steve
Old 08-15-2004, 04:05 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks Steve-s I didn't know that about puffers.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dots, fin, fins, puffer, white dots

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com