Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-07-2012, 01:18 AM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

STOP! DO NOT buy anything that the lfs made unless they tell you exactly what is in it. Coppersafe or Cupramine will work as will Hyposalinity. Some magic formula made in the back room will probably only inflate the pocket of the lfs.

STOP and tell the tattoo artist that the fish is a goner. It will either die of Ich now, or later possibly of some other disease if they do not do regular partial water changes. There are companies that service tanks in commercial establishments (most of them poorly) that he should hire if he is not willing to do the work himself.

That is the simple, but harsh reality. For you to spend money on someone else's tank when they don't care of it is just ridiculous. Some people should not have a fish tank. He sounds like one of them.

And yes, it sounds like this fish may already be too far gone to save.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:31 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmor1701d
STOP! DO NOT buy anything that the lfs made unless they tell you exactly what is in it. Coppersafe or Cupramine will work as will Hyposalinity. Some magic formula made in the back room will probably only inflate the pocket of the lfs.

STOP and tell the tattoo artist that the fish is a goner. It will either die of Ich now, or later possibly of some other disease if they do not do regular partial water changes. There are companies that service tanks in commercial establishments (most of them poorly) that he should hire if he is not willing to do the work himself.

That is the simple, but harsh reality. For you to spend money on someone else's tank when they don't care of it is just ridiculous. Some people should not have a fish tank. He sounds like one of them.

And yes, it sounds like this fish may already be too far gone to save.
THANKS CMOR!!

now will his lion fish, goby & few other fish be ok w/ the coppersafe? i didnt see any ick or disease on the others last time. should i definitely treat the tank if only for the others' sakes?

& it was only 10 bucks so i didnt mind buying the coppersafe but you're right. he does dig his fish but doesnt have time to do it himself. he tattoo's 6-7 days a week though so he CAN however afford to pay someone & i agree he should

i talked to the guys who set up his tank & they're the ones w/ the concoction. but i'll probably just try the coppersafe today since you guys & my local lfs said it was what to use

he definitely cant rely on me since i know nothing about salt

thanks for all the help homies .. i dont have high hopes but i guess we'll see

Let's make A.A. the 'free love' fish forum!!
ronnieroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:47 AM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Once Ich is in the tank it may affect all fish, especially if water quality is allowed to deteriorate. So, as long as this will be a Fish Only tank treating all the fish with a copper medication would be a good thing.

However, water quality needs to be brought up to standards and kept there. That is done by weekly partial water changes. I would start with a few 10% - 20% daily pwc's for a week to get water quality back to where it should be. That will dilute the copper and more will need to be added. That's one of the reasons you need a quality copper test kit to help maintain therapeutic levels in the tank.

You should have a serious conversation with the owner and let him know what he needs to do to maintain a tank in the store. If he's unwilling to do that, let him know that he just sell the tank and buy some pictures or artwork for the store.

Most of the tank maintenance companies I know of don't do a very good job. Maybe that's because they only come once a month instead of every other week. Maybe it's because proper maintenance is too expensive.

One place I worked at had a great looking tank for 1 week of the month. The company would come in and do a 50% water change, remove the dead fish, corals, etc. Add new fish and corals, etc. The lights were standard T8 bulbs so the corals started to die immediately. The company paid a monthly fee for this service and insisted the maintenance company knew what they were doing...
Old 01-07-2012, 08:29 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

went to the tattoo shop today .. the puffer didn't look any worse than the last time i saw him & didn't have any stringy things that i saw (he said the puff shook them off)

IMO it just seemed like a bad case of ick .. i couldn't tell if the lion fish had it or if he just had bubbles on him .. their outputs are making tiny bubbles where the water comes back in (they said because it needs more water .. i'm guessing for the filtration underneath?)

i called the lfs that set up their tank & they said they'd call him back .. i told them to let those dudes do it cuz my head is spinning & i was terrified i'd kill his fish .. HOWEVER, i gave them my number & i never got a call back .. but i did give my artist their number so hopefully he got in touch with them

the guys at the shop said they'd done PWC's since it was set up but not as often as they should've & not recently at all.. i told him to buy the testing kit & i'll let him know whenever he's not doin good ..

i'm also gonna throw his tank in my AquaPlanner app when its back in order & i'll keep track of when he's gotta do all his changes, etc. ..

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP!!!! even though i didnt really use it lol its amazing to me how much you guys know
Old 01-08-2012, 12:45 AM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

If read the articles I linked then you know that what you are witnessing is the normal life cycle of the Ich parasite. After the adult feeds for a few days (3-7) they drop off and reproduce for a week or two. When they hatch the look for a fish to attach to, normally at night when the fish are resting on the bottom. Now the fish has many more parasites. If the pattern is not broken they will consume the fish (weaken it to the point it dies).

It sounds like they may have a sump under the tank, possibly with a protein skimmer. The micro bubbles could be from the skimmer or from low water level in the sump if they are not topping off with RODI water between water changes,

If you are going to take this tank on, you have a lot to learn in a short period of time. Unless they are compensating you in some way I suggest you leave them to their devices.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:05 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

thanks again

& yeah i thought i said it but i will NOT be working on the tank ... i referred them to the guy who set it up since i was terrified that i'd kill the fishies lol

i will strictly be a FW dude for all my days lol

Tags
ich, puffer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com