Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-06-2012, 08:14 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

i told my tattoo artist that his puffer had ich a month ago & when i went back for more work last week, i saw that he never treated or anything cuz the little guy got much worse .. thennn last night he calls me begging that i come out tomorrow & save his puffer

basically, hes COVERED & i'm not sure i'll even be able to help .... buuuuut

maybe you guys could give me some good medicine names or treatments?? i have the QuickCure medicine but i dont know if its saltwater safe or "saltwater smart" to use a chemical like that .. the package says 'for marine use' which i assume is SW but again, i'm clueless

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

his puffer is AMAZING w/ a purple body, yellow spikes & the coolest eyes i've ever seen on any living thing .. PLEASE HELP our little homie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2893794355.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	68996  

Let's make A.A. the 'free love' fish forum!!
ronnieroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:33 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If there is no corals or inverts then use copper

Old 01-06-2012, 09:43 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Any type of treatment is best done in a seperate QT (quartantine tank). Most Ich cures don't do very much. You either need to use a copper based medication or Hyposalinity treatment.

An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure: A Quarantine Tank for Everything by Steven Pro

Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part I by Steven Pro

Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part II by Steven Pro

Good luck and please keep us posted.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:49 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

i know he doesnt have a QT tank since its in a tattoo shop

i'm going to read the articles now but when you say copper, what exactly do you mean? like a pipe?

again, i am beyond a newb at SW so please explain as if talking to a child or moron lol

AND THANKS FOR THE HELP!!!!
Old 01-06-2012, 11:19 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It is called Cupramine. I hope you get the little guy better. Ich is no fun to deal with. Only use this if there is no Corals or inverts in the tank also once used in the tank nothing can ever go in there other then fish. Also if there is live rock in there it to cannot be used for any other tanks.

Aquarium Fish Medications: Cupramine
Old 01-06-2012, 11:43 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

After treating for ich, he better treat for IP. This particular type of puffer is susceptible to internal worms regularly for the first few months, so he better get those meds too.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:57 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

You now have a bit of reading ahead of you. If you decide to go with a copper based treatment be sure to also buy a test kit for it so you can maintain the proper amount of copper in the tank.

Again, using copper medication means no snails, shrimp, crabs, corals, etc. in the tank, now or ever.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:58 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

thanks so much for the help guys

but after reading the articles, i'm more confused now than i was before lol

i totally understand the diseases but the treatment is a little too scientific for a dude like me .. this is why i havent tried a SW tank yet

i grabbed some 'coppersafe' meds at the lfs .. he's clear of inverts & live corals / rock; just has some dead corals for decoration .. i'm hoping the meds work but i'm pretty sure he's too far gone

he told me that he now has stringy things on his eyes, which i believe are worms / parasites .. the coppersafe says it treats those, ick & protozoan velvet (which i also think he has)

as far as test kits for his parameters & copper levels, thats gonna be on him .. i can barely afford my own stuff with the job i have lol but if he buys them, i'll go
out daily & take care of the testing, etc.

& just FYI, i HIGHLY doubt they've done any pwc's or cleanings since they redid the tank .. it's a shame too cuz my tattoo artist buys BEAUTIFUL fish!!

anything else you guys can tell me would help very much but THANK YOU for all you guys have done already!! i will def be getting a free tatt because of you guys
Old 01-06-2012, 05:28 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

the all salt shop in my area said not to use the coppersafe .. they told me they have their own concoction that works great so i'm gonna grab that tomorrow & return the coppersafe
Old 01-06-2012, 11:26 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well if he's not doing any pwc, then your job is done. The fish's fate is sealed. Fresh water helps a lot, especially for a sick puffer.

Tags
ich, puffer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com